Determining EDU with the point-buy system

LivingTriskele

I'm planning on using both the optional point-buy system and the EDU Characteristic. From what I can tell EDU is determined by age (which is rolled) and then modifiable with points at a value of 3. EDU is supposed to start at character age minus 5 correct?

I'd rather have everyone start with an equal amount of Characteristic points and skill points--since rolling age has such an effect on EDU, which in turn effects the number of skill points, it sort of defeats the purpose of the point-buy system. Please, correct me if I'm reading this wrong.

I'm considering allowing the players to choose an age between 18 and 23 with a base EDU of 10, modifiable up to their age minus 5. Instead of starting them with 24 points to spend on Characteristics I'll give them 30, since they have an extra Characteristic to spend points on. Does this seem fair?

"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales."

"When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than any talent for abstract, positive thinking."

~Albert Einstein~

I can’t say if it is fair or not, but that sounds like something I would do. The one caveat is, given the extra points, I would worry about people dumping on a stat and really jacking up the others; but I usually handle that with gentle correction during char gen.

Have fun,

Rich

Yeah, thanks, I got to be thinking about it and dropped the points back to 24. I'm basing professional skill points off of EDU so I don't think it will be neglected.

Incidentally, I think I've noticed a typo in the book--page 19 “….should assign a value to EDU based on your character’s age (described in Step Eight on page 24)”

I couldn't find that info in Step Eight on page 24.

"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales."

"When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than any talent for abstract, positive thinking."

~Albert Einstein~

Yeah, you are right – this is an error. I had taken it to mean “…your character’s age (described in step 3 page 19) and profession.” I figured it was up to the GM to concoct a little table like:

[table]Age Range|Base EDU

15-19|7

20-24|8

25-29|9

30+|10

[/table]

[table]Profession|Bonus

Cop|+3

Scientist|+5

[/table]

Hopefully some of the more knowledgeable types on this forum will clarify this.

This is what I came up with for the character generation notes I'm preparing for my players:

Age and Education: Choose an age between 18 and 23 for a base EDU of 10. You can modify your EDU at a rate of 3 Characteristic points per level, but it can be no higher than your Age –5. EDU is important because your initial (professional) skill points are equal to your EDU x 20.

Other Age Options:

15 Max EDU 10 (-60% Skill Points)

16 Max EDU 11 (-40% Skill Points)

17 Max EDU 12 (-20% Skill Points)

28-33 +1 EDU (+20% Skill Points)

38-43 +2 EDU (+40% Skill Points)

48-53 +3 EDU (+60% Skill Points)

Note: Deficient skill points for youth are restored yearly as the character ages.

Profession Bonus

Cop +3

Scientist +5

I hadn't considered allowing for professional bonuses-- is this a house rule?

Thanks for sharing!

~Albert Einstein~

I hadn't considered allowing for professional bonuses-- is this a house rule?

It was just what I thought was meant by EDU being affected by “background”. The only other thing I could think of was that each character story would get its own base EDU and that didn’t sound very BRP-like to me.