Where to look for a forum Stormbringer game?

temnix

Hi everyone. I popped by this site to find a Stormbringer game I could join. It would have to be a play-by-post, because where I live there are no players even for D&D. There aren't any active games here, though, so I have to ask for leads - at least some popular resources I could browse. Which edition of Stormbringer - that probably doesn't matter much. I'm familiar with the 1st, but I could adopt to the others. Elric!, from people's comments, seems to be streamlined but rather dull - as any once-again revised rule set for the same setting would have to be.

And it's the setting that I'm really interested in. Moorcock's books simply had genius in them, and their themes are productive for the imagination. I don't care much about rule systems, so long as they let me accomplish what I desire, and care about rules less and less with the years. The oldest systems, like the first incarnation of Basic Role-Playing or the original D&D, are strong in part because of their awkward features. One of these is having to stick with, in many cases, a seriously random character. Another is tremendous power, and the final say, given to the referee. Yet another is a relative dearth of special abilities, feats, perks etc. All of these traits of early games have been assiduously filed away at by their revised editions, in the name of variety, consistency, fairness, flexibility, psychodrama, power to the people and so on, especially with the advent of videogames and "personalization." And I understand those arguments, but I think they end up missing the point and blunting the edge. Mutual understanding between the referee and players can substitute for any amount of legalism. Likewise, an interesting adventure is something that should come out of actual inventive ideas, not ready abilities and their combinations.

So I was pleasantly surprised with the BRP system - clear, flexible and to the point, though with room for a bit of simplification. The rule about special successes in particular had to be changed (what is 1/5 of skill 62, answer quickly). Demons acting as items don't need the majority of creature stats, which just clutter the page. And so on. But these are mostly small gripes, and perhaps they were addressed later on. In the case of BRP's treatment of magic for the Young Kingdoms, I was also greatly relieved to be relieved of powers. Cross my heart, I am sick of characters with powers, "special" powers in particular. Wizards shooting lightning bolts from their fingertips aren't a frequent sight in the better fantasy fiction, and that must be for a reason. Give me demons, elementals, sleight of hand, artifacts, sacrifices and actually having to do something instead of just being special. I also like it that in the Young Kingdoms there is no resurrection, no raising of the dead, which too often makes death a joke in D&D. The Tomb of Horrors is just random kill - it's not the same thing; but life must be actually dangerous to rejoice at victory and survival.

I digressed a bit, but with this outline you can see better what I'm looking for. So, any tips on where to find it?

Magic World is the most recent supplement from Chaosium that is the Elric RPG stripped of Moorcockisms. Some people find it dull, but I find it streamlined and I feel it gets out of the way of the storytelling. So with that said, you might have more luck finding a play by Skype or one of those RPG playing sites for Magic World, but it could have a bolted on setting that doesn't appeal to you. That would be my first avenue of research. BRP is a relatively obscure RPG system in and of itself so trying to find a game under an older system would probably be next to impossible.

Unfortunately I don't have any advice for you other than try looking for online tables of Magic World as I like the social aspect of roleplaying and don't play online. Hopefully someone else can swoop in with more pointed and useful advice. Best of luck.

Edited by Robsbot
  • Thanks 1

Elric/Magic World dull? Only if you have a dull GM I suppose. As for what you are looking for, your best bet might be to scour some of the dedicated PbP forums (Rpol.net, unseenservant.com, Rpg.net, rpgpub.com has a section for play-by-post)

Finding an existing game of Elric!/Stormbringer/Magic World that is looking for players might be a bit tough, but you might have better luck if you volunteered to run a Young Kingdoms game yourself. That's what I did; I've run a Magic World game at an off-site forum for about 3 years, but unfortunately the game is full and has a waiting list.

Anyway, best of luck finding what you are looking for (FYI: There's also a Stormbringer sub-forum here at BRP Central that might be a better place to advertise your wants/needs).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to both of you for your replies. Especially to Nick J. for the recommendations of sites. The sub-forum here doesn't have ongoing or starting games in the Young Kingdom setting, that's why I asked. The BRP system is not an obsession of mine, I'm just quite tired of D20s, ubiquitous like winter colds, and don't really see the point of rules elaboration, which is what 1990s-2000s systems went for. Like I said, perks, feats, extra classes, kits and such are better handled with on-the-spot decisions, in my opinion, so learning a whole expanded and advanced system to me would be like pulling on a heavy backpack. I like the Lords of Chaos and the Lords of Law, that setting, though it could as easily be expanded or changed. Many of the countries in the Young Kingdoms world are just standard fantasy stuff, and were at the time Moorcock wrote them up, but he had a light touch with those early stories, and with Corum and Hawkmoon and Erikose. Some actual ideas came through there, which, I think, are still fresh and enjoyable to swim in.

Take the Chaos sign, for instance. The eight arrows around a circle. Moorcock made that up, and where have that emblem been seen widely in the last 30 years? In Warhammer, old games and new. That's the sign of Chaos there, except in that setting Chaos is just absolute evil. Anyone flying that banner in Warhammer is some kind of mutant freak or warped monster. Chaos is not synonymous with evil in Moorcock's books, and it just so happens that humanity or other civilized races require certain physical laws and overall stability to survive, so they have a reincarnating Eternal Champion who pushes back Chaos' endless creativity. But it could as easily be the other way - Chaos needing a champion to repel the subzero deadness of Law. And in play across possible worlds and culture borrowings there is plenty of space for interpretation and fun with these things. So that's the valuable part as far as Stormbringer is concerned, not the person of Elric with his particular doom or the Black Sword, and not really the rules.

I will look in those places you mentioned. But starting a campaign without having played in a world would be too hard, and not satisfying. I have game master experience, for once I'd like to view things from below instead of from above.

On 5/23/2018 at 12:59 PM, temnix said:

Thanks to both of you for your replies. Especially to Nick J. for the recommendations of sites. The sub-forum here doesn't have ongoing or starting games in the Young Kingdom setting, that's why I asked. The BRP system is not an obsession of mine, I'm just quite tired of D20s, ubiquitous like winter colds, and don't really see the point of rules elaboration, which is what 1990s-2000s systems went for. Like I said, perks, feats, extra classes, kits and such are better handled with on-the-spot decisions, in my opinion, so learning a whole expanded and advanced system to me would be like pulling on a heavy backpack. I like the Lords of Chaos and the Lords of Law, that setting, though it could as easily be expanded or changed. Many of the countries in the Young Kingdoms world are just standard fantasy stuff, and were at the time Moorcock wrote them up, but he had a light touch with those early stories, and with Corum and Hawkmoon and Erikose. Some actual ideas came through there, which, I think, are still fresh and enjoyable to swim in.

Take the Chaos sign, for instance. The eight arrows around a circle. Moorcock made that up, and where have that emblem been seen widely in the last 30 years? In Warhammer, old games and new. That's the sign of Chaos there, except in that setting Chaos is just absolute evil. Anyone flying that banner in Warhammer is some kind of mutant freak or warped monster. Chaos is not synonymous with evil in Moorcock's books, and it just so happens that humanity or other civilized races require certain physical laws and overall stability to survive, so they have a reincarnating Eternal Champion who pushes back Chaos' endless creativity. But it could as easily be the other way - Chaos needing a champion to repel the subzero deadness of Law. And in play across possible worlds and culture borrowings there is plenty of space for interpretation and fun with these things. So that's the valuable part as far as Stormbringer is concerned, not the person of Elric with his particular doom or the Black Sword, and not really the rules.

I will look in those places you mentioned. But starting a campaign without having played in a world would be too hard, and not satisfying. I have game master experience, for once I'd like to view things from below instead of from above.

If you really like the Elric!/Stormbringer mechanics, but don't necessarily feel comfortable running a game set in Moorcock's multiverse, then my advice would be to look at running Magic World with the Advanced Sorcery supplement sprinkled in to taste . It includes a lightly-detailed sample setting in the back of the book called The Southern Reaches that could easily be adapted or expanded, but it's not based on any corpus of fiction, so you don't have to worry about getting something canonically right. I use Magic World for a couple of reasons: It's still in print and has PDFs available, plus it has all of those mechanics I like. I just plopped it into my own home-brew setting a few years ago with a minimum of tweaking and away I go.

However, if I'm reading this last statement correctly, "for once I'd like to view things from below instead of from above," then it sounds like you are more keen to play than GM. All I will say is good luck; finding a game looking for players, that's not D&D or one of the more fashionable RPGs these days, is going to be a very tough order to fill.

Happy hunting.