New Spell Ideas

Just was wondering if anyone had any ideas for spells that weren't included in the rules book?

For example, I am working on a system to incorporate Necromancy, Summoning, and Conjuring into my games. Already got an "Animate Dead" spell done.

Any others want to weigh in on this and add their 2 cents?

Stormbringer 5th edition (or Elric!, which is essentially the same game) has detailed rules for demon summoning. The Elric! sourcebook The Bronze Grimoire, likewise, has a comprehensive section on necromancy, with statistics for the animated dead. I'd recommend giving both of those a look.

I am going to include a version of the transform spell that has a longer duration, but only allows you to transform to a single organism – and I (as the GM) will keep control over what versions are available.

Example:

Transform to Wolf: Subject maintains mental attributes and skills, but has the body (and fighting capabilities) of a wolf. No equipment travels with the subject. Duration is casters POW in hours.

Another version:

Transform to Orc: All the subjects’ attributes remain the same – he simply becomes, physically, an orc for POW hours. Note: Each time the spell is cast, the subject is recognizable as the same orc he/she was the last time.

This spell would allow the caster to explore a section of an old forest or sniff out a bandit lair without drawing too much attention – but in the game I run, a wolf is not likely to be a preferred form for fighting. Likewise, the orc spell could be used to infiltrate a group of orcs or even to create an alternate persona – but it doesn’t give the caster any combat advantages. The transformation becomes more of an information gathering spell.

Stormbringer 5th edition (or Elric!, which is essentially the same game) has detailed rules for demon summoning. The Elric! sourcebook The Bronze Grimoire, likewise, has a comprehensive section on necromancy, with statistics for the animated dead. I'd recommend giving both of those a look.

I am a HUGE fan of the Bronze Grimoire. It has an outstanding list of necromantic magic.

I would try to get ahold of of AD&D's 'Complete Necromancer Handbook' for additional ideas for necromancer spells, another fantastic sourcebook.

And don't forget Realism Rule # 1 "If you can do it in real life you should be able to do it in BRP". - Simon Phipp

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update:

Just got done with a nice little handful of spells, including a few that I thought should have been in the core book. Here is my list so far:

Animate Dead-Animates a nearby dead creature (1 lvl. = 10 SIZ points) by giving the creature a point of the caster's POW. When spell is done (death of creature of a number of days = to the caster's POW before spell) rool against Luck to determine if POW returns.

Make Brittle- Every level adds a 3% chance that a target item will break.

Fear-Chance target will run in fear from the caster. Doesn't work on undead.

Dark Drain- Drains 1 HP per turn as long as target is in sight of caster.

Summon Animal-Causes an animal to naturally come to the caster.

Conjure Animal-Creatures an animal from energy. Animal must be instructed for any actions.

*Inspire-Every level adds 3% to targets Idea roll.

*=Spell added.

Edited by tilford_kage1985
added spell descriptions and new spell