Weapon Classes vs. Individual Weapon Base Chances

islan

I just noticed that each skill of Melee/Missile Weapon is considered to be of one Weapon Class. However, each weapon within a Weapon Class has a different Base Chance -- what base chance do you start with?

For example: a player puts 60 points into Melee Weapon (Sword). If he is looking at Great Sword (base chance 05%) then his skill would be 65%, but if he looked at Long Sword (base chance 15%) then his skill would be 75%. However, this is really the same skill.

So how do we know what the starting base chance for a weapon skill is?

I just noticed that each skill of Melee/Missile Weapon is considered to be of one Weapon Class. However, each weapon within a Weapon Class has a different Base Chance -- what base chance do you start with?

For example: a player puts 60 points into Melee Weapon (Sword). If he is looking at Great Sword (base chance 05%) then his skill would be 65%, but if he looked at Long Sword (base chance 15%) then his skill would be 75%. However, this is really the same skill.

So how do we know what the starting base chance for a weapon skill is?

I think it works like this: The starting chance for specific weapons is as listed in the table, and the character's skill is exactly as you describe - because their personal skill with Melee Weapon (Sword) is 60%, modified by how easy the specific weapon is to use (so with a short sword they have 80% for example). If you want homogenised base chances for the broad weapon categories, pick the most common value of the weapons in the class, e.g. 15% for Swords.

Cheers,

Nick

Since BRP has many different optional rules, some people will use one skill for each Weapon Class/Type and some people wil us one skill for each weapon.

I wouldn't get too hung up on it.

BRP seems to be quite flexible in how it works, so even though it says something on page so-and-so that is only a guideline and you should use whichever combination you prefer or use your own.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here