Starting Sorcery Spells

LivingTriskele

Page 122 states that at a normal power level, a sorcerer starts with 1/2 of his or her INT (rounded up) in levels of sorcery spells known, and in his/her grimoire. If I have a 16 INT I could have 8 1st-level spells committed to memory and documented in my grimoire.

Page 123 states that your character's INT characteristic is equal to the maximum number of spells her or she has immediate access to. Is this the total number of spells a sorcerer can collect in his/her grimoire? The wording suggests to me that you start with your INT worth of spells, which would contradict page 122.

Edited by LivingTriskele

"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales."

"When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than any talent for abstract, positive thinking."

~Albert Einstein~

Think the glitch is in the use of the term levels - Sorcery spells don't really have levelsm so page 122 should say you start with 1/2 INT in spells, andpage 123 is correct that the maximum possible number of spells you can have in mind is equal to your INT. That's certainly how the system worked in Elric! IIRC.

Cheers,

Nick

Regardless, the two statements isn't in conflict - no matter how you choose to interpret the "levels" issue.

One discusses the starting spells of the sorcerer, the other the maximum.

The phrasing "has immediate access to" refers to spells that you have learnt, spells you don't have to look up in a library or somesuch. Not that you start play with them.

Regardless, the two statements isn't in conflict - no matter how you choose to interpret the "levels" issue.

One discusses the starting spells of the sorcerer, the other the maximum.

The phrasing "has immediate access to" refers to spells that you have learnt, spells you don't have to look up in a library or somesuch. Not that you start play with them.

Heh, I woke up in the middle of the night last night and realized that this is what the rules meant, and then I felt stupid for placing this post... :o

"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales."

"When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than any talent for abstract, positive thinking."

~Albert Einstein~

Think the glitch is in the use of the term levels - Sorcery spells don't really have levels

This raises a few questions for me--

'Undo Sorcery (1-4) looks like it has a variable 'level' of some kind (1-4). In this case do you choose ahead of time what level of spell you want to memorize? Or do you learn a spell at a given level (for example 'Undo Sorcery 2), transcribe it in your grimoire, and that is the only level you can cast it at-- if you want to cast it at 4 you have to find a more powerful version of the same spell.

Or if I have 'Undo Sorcery' in my grimoire can I decide to memorize it at any level between 1-4--say, 3, and if I do, does that eats into 3 points of my INT's ability to memorize spells? That's the way I've interpreted it so far.

Also, this may be a really stupid question but what is Free INT? It's listed on the character sheet but I haven't seen reference to it yet (I haven't completely studied all of the power types though).

~Albert Einstein~

"The number in parentheses after the name is the

number of levels the spell has. If the number is a range,

the spell’s level is variable, and players can choose how

many levels of the spell their characters have in memory

and are able to cast."

-- Page 128.