Age bonus & penalties

Hi everyone!

I have a short question on the topic of character improvement that is not stated openly in the books (as far as I know) and I would like your input.

Upon changing an Age Category you should roll an improvement check for the chance to increase your EDU. The book shows that these increases in EDU, if the improvement checks are successful, account for a raise in the investigator's skill point pools as Harvey Walter's example shows.

The question is: do further increases in EDU improvement checks for aging OUTSIDE CHARACTER CREATION result in retroactively gaining skill points?

But now consider this:

Mid campaign, an investigator turns 40, fails his EDU  improvement check and assigns the age penalties to STR, DEX & CON and APP. What would happen if his occupation were also APP related, such as being an Actor (Stage Actor), and some skill points get derived from the now diminished characteristic? Would this result in retroactively losing skill points?

Analyzing it all I would lean to:

No. Changing characteristics mid-game do not result in gaining skill points.

What is your opinion on the matter?

Edit: added 7e tag.

Edited by emolinapico

I agree. Once the investigator enters play their skill levels are set and no longer tied to their characteristic scores.

• Like 2

— 
Self-discipline isnt everything; look at Pol Pot.”
—Helen Fielding, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason

The attributes are taken into calculation of the occupation and personal skill points only during character creation and skill points that are not used are lost. Therefore, increase of EDU from age and increasing the skill points respectively only matter during character creation phase, not during play. In addition, selecting Age in the creation flow happens before you pick your occupation.

So... increasing Age during play does not increase skill points, as the skill points are lost after the character is created. The effect is that your character has higher chances to succeed on any roll related to Know, which is quite good benefit. The only re-calculations that happen when you age during play are the attributes that are derivative of the main ones.