Old RQ Enchantment Question

Tywyll

So, back in RQ 1/2 days, you could make a Power Crystal to store Magic Points and that was the main way of getting extra ones.

Then, in RQ3, you could summon and bind spirits. But you could still make Magic Crystals.

As I understand it, a single point of power going into a Crystal allowed it to store 1 mp. Meanwhile, a single Pow could also be used to make a binding object for a Power Spirit, with its 2d6+3 Power.

Now, granted you had to summon and control said spirit, but other than following the original rules set, what possible advantage/purpose was there for the magic crystal? I know a lot of house rules made it store d10 mp and stuff because I'm not the only one who saw this disparity. Does anyone know the rationale?

Additionally, what about balance... is one permanent Pow worth 10 mp (on average)? It seems like that would get out of hand fairly quickly.

Now, granted you had to summon and control said spirit, but other than following the original rules set, what possible advantage/purpose was there for the magic crystal? I know a lot of house rules made it store d10 mp and stuff because I'm not the only one who saw this disparity. Does anyone know the rationale?

Actually 1d10 MP was part of the RQ3 errata, and not specifically a houserule.

As for the whether a MP Matrix is better than a bound Magic Spirit? I don't know. When was the last time a pissed off shaman banished your Magic Point Matrix?

Also, I'm remembering a "can only draw MP from 1 source at a time rule". Am I making this up? I seem to recall that it was easier to make a really big MP Matrix than it was to dominate powerful POW Spirits.

And don't forget Realism Rule # 1 "If you can do it in real life you should be able to do it in BRP". - Simon Phipp

So, back in RQ 1/2 days, you could make a Power Crystal to store Magic Points and that was the main way of getting extra ones.

Then, in RQ3, you could summon and bind spirits. But you could still make Magic Crystals.

As I understand it, a single point of power going into a Crystal allowed it to store 1 mp. Meanwhile, a single Pow could also be used to make a binding object for a Power Spirit, with its 2d6+3 Power.

Additionally, what about balance... is one permanent Pow worth 10 mp (on average)? It seems like that would get out of hand fairly quickly.

The number of bound power spirit depends on the rate of increase for the POW characteristic, because each binding enchantment can only hold one POW spirit.

Besides if no condition is imposed on the binding, anyone can use it. More to the point, without conditions, anyone can cast control power spirit on the bound spirit and order it to leave the enchantment.

Conditions cost permanent POW points.

A magic points matrix is immune to this tactics, but does not regenerate.

It is fairer to get 1d10 MP storage for each POW point spent.

The advantage of the magic points matrix is that (with the right conditions) friends can put their magic points in it, and help the owner.

My characters have used both power spirits and magic points matrix because each have their use.

Jean

As noted, there were two reasons to use the (errataed) magic point enchantment; you only needed one skill (Enchantment) and spell (Creat Magic Point Enchantment) instead of two, and you didn't have to get involved in the risks of spirit combat. That said, the Power Spirit enchantment generally was the more attractive.

As for getting out of hand--well, that turns on expectations, how much downtime was given, and other questions.