Danger Sense?

The Venomous Pao

Hey folks. I was just reading over the Danger Sense psychic power (BRP p. 115) and I had a question. The power itself appears to be dependent on a difficult luck roll, but since it's a psychic power it's also based on the skill level of the power itself. So...

Does a player have to succeed at a Danger Sense roll and then have to pass the luck roll as well? Or do folks interpret this power differently than other psychic powers?

75/420

---

Geek blogging at http://strangestones.com

By my reading, Danger sense doesn't have a skill associated with it. I am using the zero edition, so this may have been changed for publication.

It looks like there are two different ways to use the power; one which is passive, where the GM rolls a Difficult Luck roll to see if the power works, and one where the player spends a Power Point and the GM makes a normal Luck roll to see if it works.

I've never had a player take this in any of my groups. If I were a player, and I got ambushed despite having this power, I'd feel cheated. At a POW of 18, a difficult Luck roll is 45%, which means less than half the time it comes up, the power is useless.

I'd either just let the player handle the roll, and make it a skill like any other Psychic Ability, or make the roll as a GM at normal Luck, and tell the player whether or not they sense something. Hell, I might even say that it always works, but if the player shouts out a warning to the others, they loose the ability to defend themselves for that round.

As it read, the power is wonky, but then again I tend to tweak rules without actually seeing them in play.

As written the power use is based on a Luck roll (modified for difficulty), with no reference to power skill use.

For my own games I feel it more appropriate to house rule that since it is a psychic power, it should function more like one, and so substitute Danger Sense skill rating for Luck in the description, usually offering more likelihood of success.

Very slowly working towards completing my monograph.