Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
tenchi2a

Manors in Berroc? and beyond.

Recommended Posts

I was wondering how others deal with Manors outside of Salisbury.

Has anyone made a list of historic Manors or do you just makeup the names? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, tenchi2a said:

I was wondering how others deal with Manors outside of Salisbury.

Has anyone made a list of historic Manors or do you just makeup the names? 

There are a few sources you can use to get some good historic names.

Bristish History online at https://www.british-history.ac.uk is one of my favorites as it gives information from the Medieval and Anglo-Saxon periods or various places. 

Anything from the Doomseday Book is also helpful. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am lazy. I simply use Google Maps and modern names. Not only makes it easy to find the place on the map, but calculating distances and travel times between the manors becomes very easy, too. Also you can switch terrain on and get a feel for teh local topography and water features.

The way I see it, not only wouldn't my players know any better*, but also my campaign isn't particularly enhanced by the knowledge that this is a location an an Anglo-Saxon village in Domesday with a certain amount of hides, just mapped back to the anachronistic 500s of King Arthur. I use standard £10 manors anyway, rather than messing around if it is £9 or £11.

* If anything, my players get more of a kick out of finding their 'manor' if they are travelling in UK and finding a road sign for the village. For instance Grately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Morien said:

I am lazy. I simply use Google Maps and modern names. Not only makes it easy to find the place on the map, but calculating distances and travel times between the manors becomes very easy, too. Also you can switch terrain on and get a feel for teh local topography and water features.

Yeah, although modern travel times might be a little too "as the crow flies" or take advantage of roads that wouldn't have existed back them. Still, thge actual distances between places should be about the same. The distance between Sarum and Broughton probably hasn't changed much in the last 1600 years. 

8 hours ago, Morien said:

The way I see it, not only wouldn't my players know any better*, but also my campaign isn't particularly enhanced by the knowledge that this is a location an an Anglo-Saxon village in Domesday with a certain amount of hides, just mapped back to the anachronistic 500s of King Arthur. I use standard £10 manors anyway, rather than messing around if it is £9 or £11.

Sometimes I come across intering tidbits of history, like what a given manor had for additions or produced or the name of the local church and use them to ehance the game, such as the actualy font at Monstisfont (DuPlain) with alleged healing properties, or...

8 hours ago, Morien said:

* If anything, my players get more of a kick out of finding their 'manor' if they are travelling in UK and finding a road sign for the village. For instance Grately.

..had a Roman villa nearby that was burnt down, and had a dead body (believed to be the careless servant who started the fire). I used the ruins of the old villa in my cvampaign and the PK who holds Grateley has done work to restore the villa, and now resides there with his wife, while his son and heir now runs the manor at Grateley.  I took some of the old maps and info found online and used them to modify satellite images to get so-so maps of the manor. Something like:1550641259_GrateleyManorNewFill3.jpg.5c5b8e2096d81c5a05358450b7544d69.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...