Horrible!

Trifletraxor

The waiting time is just horrible! Why can't they just publish the book!? Or send me a play-test copy? I'm suffering! ;-(

ETA is still not known! It could take until 2008 before I have it in my hands. I want it now! Chaosium, I'm getting restless! :eek:

Anyone who have any news? Any rumours? :confused:

<flashbacks to the trauma of waiting for RQ:AiG>

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

It is killing me as well.

The only saving grace of the situation is that the longer it takes the more I am sure that they are taking their time to do it right. I would rather have it late than riddled with errors.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)

30/420

Given they were apparently still considering covers, I'm afraid you're probably right, though companies try for pre-Christmas releases whenever possible.

Most analysis about the industry I've seen actually says that Christmas is a slow time for RPG sales, with the post-Christmas bump being more significant to the hobby.

The near-total failure of the pen-and-paper retail industry in presenting characteristics normally associated with Christmas shopping (extended hours, sale prices, parent-friendly service, more advertising, high availability of product, gift wrapping, etc.) means that most people don't get RPG products for Christmas (or Kwanza, or whatever holiday), and many people end up buying them later with holiday gift money.

I know that in my entire life, the only RPG product I ever got at X-Mas from someone else was the old blue box D&D, and that was ordered through the Montgomery Ward's Christmas catalog.

Not that there aren't good stores (I shop at a good one), but even they don't really change their business plan around holidays other than a display for the front of the store and some recommendations for gifts.

Most analysis about the industry I've seen actually says that Christmas is a slow time for RPG sales, with the post-Christmas bump being more significant to the hobby.

Hmmm. I'd heard of the Christmas money effect, but was under the impression they still wanted the actual game out before that for the exposure if nothing else.

Hmmm. I'd heard of the Christmas money effect, but was under the impression they still wanted the actual game out before that for the exposure if nothing else.

Oh believe me, they want it out ASAP.

However, there's always the unpredictable stuff, like the cover issue, like printer schedules, etc.

Regardless, it's just comforting to know that it's coming out soon, and any delays are a matter of weeks, rather than months or longer.

As a funny bit of irony, I was working on an Eternal Champion book before BRP when they asked me to contribute to Pulp Cthulhu. It sounded like it was on a fast-track, and I didn't have the time to spare, so I said no. Then they pulled the plug on the EC book and asked me to do BRP, which was fine as I was still in "pre-writing" for that first product.

Now, more than three years later, EC is no longer Chaosium's and Pulp Cthulhu is still on the horizon.

As a funny bit of irony, I was working on an Eternal Champion book before BRP when they asked me to contribute to Pulp Cthulhu. It sounded like it was on a fast-track, and I didn't have the time to spare, so I said no. Then they pulled the plug on the EC book and asked me to do BRP, which was fine as I was still in "pre-writing" for that first product.

Now, more than three years later, EC is no longer Chaosium's and Pulp Cthulhu is still on the horizon.

Talk about unpredictable!:rolleyes: Perhaps this needs to be on the author thread but it came up here first: Jason do you have any idea why Chaosium shifted gears and wanted to pick up BRP now? They have had the base material for quite a long time. Were they missing other resources that were needed for this? Why does it look like a profitable project now and didn't 10-15 years ago?

Joseph Paul

"Nothing partys like a rental" explains the enduring popularity of prostitution.:eek:

Jason do you have any idea why Chaosium shifted gears and wanted to pick up BRP now? They have had the base material for quite a long time. Were they missing other resources that were needed for this? Why does it look like a profitable project now and didn't 10-15 years ago?

It wasn't like it came up suddenly ("now").

I'd pitched the book to them during Gen Con 2003. Then, around eight months later, they asked me to begin work on it. I gather that it had been on their minds for years, as I know of at least two people who'd mentioned it as a possibility while working for Chaosium years prior.

It was ultimately a case of having an author they were on good terms with and could trust to turn in a workable manuscript.

I suspect, too, that it is a case of not keeping all of one's eggs in the Cthulhu basket. Sales of Eternal Champion products had never really done that well in the last decade, and diversifying to more than just Cthulhu-related fiction and the Call of Cthulhu game line is just good business sense.