Submitted to Chaosium, but.......

Agentorange

I noticed on the projects listing that both Supernatural Western and Fractured Hopes were submitted to Chaosium in May 2008. Well, it's now March 2009, have they been rejected, accepted, forgotten about ?

As far as I know, Fractured Hopes is currently being edited, and Chaosium is commissioning artists for the final project. The date I've heard is late fall, 2009, but that there are other factors involved that might push it to early 2010.

As far as I know, Fractured Hopes is currently being edited, and Chaosium is commissioning artists for the final project. The date I've heard is late fall, 2009, but that there are other factors involved that might push it to early 2010.

For Aces High I spent a lot of time on making it look good after the text was sorted, and I had the advantage of a mate acting as an editor. He would criticise my spelling, sentence structure, formatting and layout. Even some of the content itself. Added to that, I also illustrated it. I'm a bit of a control freak and I don't think I would have liked anyone, even Chaosium, tampering with my baby!

It must have paid off because its printed and pdf'd in under 3 weeks! and its not a small document.

Mr Jealousy has returned to reality!

For Aces High I spent a lot of time on making it look good after the text was sorted, and I had the advantage of a mate acting as an editor. He would criticise my spelling, sentence structure, formatting and layout. Even some of the content itself. Added to that, I also illustrated it. I'm a bit of a control freak and I don't think I would have liked anyone, even Chaosium, tampering with my baby!

It must have paid off because its printed and pdf'd in under 3 weeks! and its not a small document.

Aces High is a Monograph, correct? For monographs, it is assumed that the author will handle all of these functions himself.

Fractured Hopes is a perfect bound book, that is going to be sold via normal distribution. For books like this, Chaosium handles the editing, layout and commissioning artists. Given the state of the company, I think this accounts for the delay.

If I had done everything myself, Fractured Hopes would already be done, although I don't think it would look quite as good as what the staff at Chaosium could accomplish themselves.

60,000 words, or close to it. I had more material, but Chaosium said they would only take 60k.

Seems an odd attitude to take, surely it's done when it's done ? ( as it were ) After all they've got the hardback Beyond the Mountains of Madness up at $75 on their website which shows they're not adverse to large campaigns or supplements. Ah well, just means you'll have to do a Fractured Hopes companion won't you ;)

Seems an odd attitude to take, surely it's done when it's done ? ( as it were ) After all they've got the hardback Beyond the Mountains of Madness up at $75 on their website which shows they're not adverse to large campaigns or supplements. Ah well, just means you'll have to do a Fractured Hopes companion won't you ;)

At least in my experience, Chaosium contracts state the author is to produce a work between X and Y word count for Z dollars, not a per word count. If it were a flat, you get .02 a word, then going of the limit would probably be easier for them to handle.

In the end, though, it does mean that Charles has enough material to get started on the next supplement.

At least in my experience, Chaosium contracts state the author is to produce a work between X and Y word count for Z dollars, not a per word count. If it were a flat, you get .02 a word, then going of the limit would probably be easier for them to handle.

In the end, though, it does mean that Charles has enough material to get started on the next supplement.

I've done a few things for them, and they're usually "the manuscript will be between X and Y words in length, with your per-word rate at Z."

The upper limit on word count is specifically to prevent books from going overbudget.

The BRP core book was likely a big part of that problem... it was very difficult to estimate the final word count based on the outline, and it was much larger (and more expensive to them) than expected.

My contract for Fractured Hopes was for the manuscript at a range of X to Y, for flat rate of Z. This was odd, as these things typically go for a cent-per-word fee. After Lynn left, I was told that they wouldn't take the manuscript unless it was limited to 60,000 words. This was what I was aiming for anyway, so it didn't feel like I was being held back.

I suspect this, combined with the word count limit, was to prevent me handing in a bloated whopper of a book and running up a huge tab. As it stands, I think I've made good use of the limited word count, and I hope the editor working on it agrees.