2 Pendragon Questions

1. When newly knighted characters attempt "the Leap," is the DEX roll subject to encumbrance and armor modifiers (basically making it impossible)? I'm assuming not, but wanted to check.

2. In the Great Pendragon Campaign, some choices result in "losing a point of Homage [to Uther]," but I don't see anyplace that explains Homage or how much the players start with. I'm assuming it's a Passion similar to Loyalty (Lord), but am otherwise in the dark.

Thanks!

Edited by YwainDigsLions

1. Yes. The Leap is just a special occasion of a Jump (p. 98): "Encumbered characters that are jumping suffer the usual modifiers to DEX."

2. Homage was introduced in Book of the Estate, I think... The old Loyalty passion got split into three: Homage (towards your primary liege lord, the old Loyalty Lord), Fealty (towards your secondary or temporary lieges, such as for mercenaries) and Loyalty (towards your friends and other such peer groups). The main difference is that Homage is your primary loyalty, which should take precedence in any case where Homage and Fealty conflict.

Homage (Uther) is a bit strange to show up in GPC, since Homage didn't exist yet... unless you mean the GPC expansion, part of Book of Uther? Ah, yes, I see them now in the GPC expansion. Note that these are not Homage UTHER, but Homage to whoever is the PKs' primary liege lord, since they are shirking their duties to harry the land as commanded.

Edited by Morien
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Morien said:

Homage (Uther) is a bit strange to show up in GPC, since Homage didn't exist yet... unless you mean the GPC expansion, part of Book of Uther? Ah, yes, I see them now in the GPC expansion. Note that these are not Homage UTHER, but Homage to whoever is the PKs' primary liege lord, since they are shirking their duties to harry the land as commanded.

Yeah, sorry for not specifying. Thanks for the answers!

2 minutes ago, Tizun Thane said:

RAW, yes. As a houserule, I always "forget" to apply the -10 to the leap ;)

What I ended up doing was 'forgetting' that they were supposed to be armored. :P

That being said... Rereading p. 46, it doesn't mention anything about an encumbrance penalty. So if the 'Leap' is more of an assisted jump, hands on the pommel and maybe even foot on a stirrup, and the DEX roll is more if they manage to do that smoothly, that would be enough for me to waive the penalty.

During combat, I usually ask for Horsemanship rolls: on a crit, you are in the saddle and can act this round, on a success you spend this round getting up, on a failure, you take this round and the next due to the horse being skittish, and on a fumble, the horse rears up and throws you down for extra 1d6 damage, and you start the next round lying down.

15 hours ago, Morien said:

What I ended up doing was 'forgetting' that they were supposed to be armored. :P

That being said... Rereading p. 46, it doesn't mention anything about an encumbrance penalty. So if the 'Leap' is more of an assisted jump, hands on the pommel and maybe even foot on a stirrup, and the DEX roll is more if they manage to do that smoothly, that would be enough for me to waive the penalty.

During combat, I usually ask for Horsemanship rolls: on a crit, you are in the saddle and can act this round, on a success you spend this round getting up, on a failure, you take this round and the next due to the horse being skittish, and on a fumble, the horse rears up and throws you down for extra 1d6 damage, and you start the next round lying down.

I see the Leap as just an oddity. So I do not incur a penalty for armor. But I must admit that using the penalty means that succeeding is really a feat that most knights fail.

As for quick getting on your horse I also normally use the Horsemanship. In book of the Battle 2nd (v1.1) rescue a friend extended melee phase (page 77) it states also that Horsemanship to get on the horse again, but no difference between critical and success: both mean you are on your horse with your friend.