ok... I think I am getting the hang of this...

mummi

Hi there,

I am new to BRP and have been playing a very simelar system but the way the combat works is totally different... so if I got this straight 1 comband round is 12 sec. and there are 25 combat rounds in a game turn. But what I am not clearly getting is how many dex rounds are there in each combat round? or do I just count down each players dex and npc's dex until they are finished and start the next combat round? I have not read through the whole book so bear with me :D... And also it states that some weapons may let you do more that one attack in each combat round ... but as I understand you must have also higher dex to be aible to do so .. am I correct? and when a sword states that you can only attack once each round but you have lets say 18 DEX are you not allowed to do more attacks?

And another thing ... how do you guy's keep track with each combat round? in the system I play we have a peace of paper with a grid on where we wright each PC and NPC when they attack etc... what have you guy's done to help you keep track when game mastering? :party:

Sounds like you have got it right to me. Highest Dex goes first, but a high DEX only allows multiple attacks with weapons that can do that, eg. firearms. Melee weapons usually only allow one attack a round.

In my games we don't normally write down the sequence of who goes when, but that would probably make a quicker combat round. We normally just call out for the highest and then count down.

Edited by MrJealousy

Mr Jealousy has returned to reality!

Hi there,

I am new to BRP and have been playing a very simelar system but the way the combat works is totally different... so if I got this straight 1 comband round is 12 sec. and there are 25 combat rounds in a game turn. But what I am not clearly getting is how many dex rounds are there in each combat round? or do I just count down each players dex and npc's dex until they are finished and start the next combat round? I have not read through the whole book so bear with me :D... And also it states that some weapons may let you do more that one attack in each combat round ... but as I understand you must have also higher dex to be aible to do so .. am I correct? and when a sword states that you can only attack once each round but you have lets say 18 DEX are you not allowed to do more attacks?

And another thing ... how do you guy's keep track with each combat round? in the system I play we have a peace of paper with a grid on where we wright each PC and NPC when they attack etc... what have you guy's done to help you keep track when game mastering? :party:

There is an optional rule that allows an extra attack at 100% skill, a third attack at 125%, fourth at 150%, etc.

As for an extra attack for a high DEX, I think you can when using the Strike Rank system, but not sure as I don't use it.

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

I do use the optional strike rank system.

In this system, the round is divided into 10 strike ranks (so each strike rank is 1.2 seconds long). You count up through the strike ranks from 1 to 10, and each action takes a specific number of strike ranks to complete. A character's SIZ, DEX, and weapon choice all play a roll in when you go, as does your choice of action.

So, for instance, if you were playing a character with a DEX of 16 (SR2) and SIZ of 16 (SR1) and wanted to run across the battlefield you would start moving on SR 2 and could move 3M per strike rank. You would therefore know precisely where you were during every strike rank of the combat round. If casting a 1pt spell you would go on 3. If casting a 3pt spell you would go on 5. If attacking with a 2 handed weapon you would go on 4. If you attacked with a one handed weapon, you would go on 5. With a dagger you would go on 6.

The advantages of the system are that it can model a combat a little more realistically and with more detail, but it comes at the expense of simplicity and speed. Like most things, this system is slow to use at first but goes quicker when everyone is familiar with how it works. In practice, we (the GM and players) all figure out our actions before the round begins and know on which strike rank our action will take place. The GM then calls out the SRs from one up. When a player's number is called he speaks up and has his go.

The only way to get an extra attack is to have a skill over 100% or to attack with two weapons (and forego a parry or dodge).

But having said that, my group did experiment a long time ago when the Vikings boxed set for 3rd Ed. Runequest came out. Vikings got to add +2 to SIZ and +2 to STR. I made a character with a SIZ of 20 and a DEX of 18 (no, I did not claim they were random numbers) who wielded a Pole Axe. This allowed him to attack on SR3 (which is very early). We ruled that he could attack once on SR3, then spend 3SR changing action, and perform a second attack on SR9. This was only possible because he could perform an attack within 3SR. This was only an experiment - not entirely within the rules - more of a loophole. He was a beast in battle, attacking twice each round and doing 5D6 damage, but he died like all the rest. Probably someone closed with him stuck him with a dagger, I don't remember.

Anyway, my point is that just having a high DEX doesn't give you an extra attack using Strike Ranks either. Except with missile weapons, which allow you a second attack as long as your DEX is higher than 9.

Thalaba

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

Ok ... there is one thing... did I understand it correctly if you attack someone and he/she is going to dodge/parry does the player (which is getting attacked) get a -30% to his/her dodge/parry if the attack is successful?

No.

The character defending gets no penalty parrying or dodging the first attack. For the second attack he has -30, for the third -60 and so on.

Well, I think so anyway. Haven't read the rules in a while. :)

second attack in the same combat round?

In a single round:

The first parry/dodge attempt is at full skill level. Each subsequent parry/dodge

is at -30% the previous attempt (i.e. the second attempt is at -30%, the

third attempt is -60%, etc.) Also, if you use the optional rule that one

can parry and dodge in the same combat round, I rule that it is -30% the

previous attempt OR skill level, whichever is lower (i.e. if parry is 90% and

dodge is 50%, the first parry is at 90%, the second parry would be 60%, but

if you chose to dodge instead, it would be 50% - the rules do not handle

this situation very well).

-V