Spirit handling with sorcery

Manu

In the sorcery rule, there is many spell handling spirits

Summon (species) : If the sorcerer want to summon an animal spirit to get a spell, does he need to know 'summon trout spirit' or a more generic 'summon animal spirit'?

Same question for Dominate (spirit). Is it dominate trout spirit or dominate animal spirit

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Manu said:

Summon (species) : If the sorcerer want to summon an animal spirit to get a spell, does he need to know 'summon trout spirit' or a more generic 'summon animal spirit'?

With sorcery, I believe the more exact you are in your naming, the greater the likelihood that you will get what you want. For instance, you want to summon a predatory spirit to attack your foe in Spirit Combat. Summon Child of Fralar should work fine as long as you can direct it accordingly.  But if you want to open up a spirit tunnel to get somewhere, then you'd want to Summon Badger (or Mole) spirit.

Btw, with sorcery, you wouldn't expect to summon a spirit to "get a spell". You might summon and dominate one to have it cast its magic on your foe.  And likely you'll want a more specific spirit as they will have the type of spell you want them to use. Summon animal spirit could get you almost anything.

1 hour ago, Manu said:

Same question for Dominate (spirit). Is it dominate trout spirit or dominate animal spirit

If you've summoned something specific, then the dominate will control it best while the more general spell would be less effective (probably in line with how far it is descended from the one you've used). If you've summoned something with a generic spell, a specific dominate for something else should be very difficult or impossible to apply.

As there is no Western/Malkionism book yet, I try to make up my mind on how it works with Malkionists. I'm playing in Umathela where they are numerous....

I imagined (YGMV) that the dronars are not learning any sorcery (not meant to do it). But at crucial moment of their life (initiation, marriage, ...), the Priest/Zzaburi give then access to some spirit magic spell in order to help them in their live (farming, healing the children, ...). Hence then summon spirits with these spells and give them to the believers.

For them, spirits (and then spirit magic they provide) is just a tool, like a hammer or a plow.

In RQG, for malkionism, it is said that the first rune they have to master is Spirit. To protect the people against them but maybe to control them and make them useful.

It seems logical, but I needed to understand rulewise how the Zzaburi could do it.

Thanks for your answer

1 hour ago, Manu said:

As there is no Western/Malkionism book yet, I try to make up my mind on how it works with Malkionists. I'm playing in Umathela where they are numerous....

I imagined (YGMV) that the dronars are not learning any sorcery (not meant to do it). But at crucial moment of their life (initiation, marriage, ...), the Priest/Zzaburi give then access to some spirit magic spell in order to help them in their live (farming, healing the children, ...). Hence then summon spirits with these spells and give them to the believers.

For them, spirits (and then spirit magic they provide) is just a tool, like a hammer or a plow.

In RQG, for malkionism, it is said that the first rune they have to master is Spirit. To protect the people against them but maybe to control them and make them useful.

It seems logical, but I needed to understand rulewise how the Zzaburi could do it.

Thanks for your answer

It's very unlikely the wizards would ever teach them spirit magic -- as the wizard is unlikely to know any.

Most likely you'll end up with the dronar's sub-caste/guild knowing several spells, which the guildmaster teaches to their members, having gained them from their guardian/wyter. (As guilds act like cults to their patron spirit/founder, as described on RQ:G page 66)

So a Shipwright's guild might teach Coordination, Glue, Repair, and Rivereyes. All useful spells to their profession.

• Like 1