Quick & Probably stupid question

Algesan

Spell Intensity, does it do anything besides adjust the amount of damage a spell does?
I've gone from the little BRP Classic Fantasy supplement to the RQ6/Mythras Classic Fantasy version.  I remember somewhere that increasing spell intensity/level allowed for changing several different effects: larger AoE, longer range, more damage, etc.

I would have blown the entire question off and left it as just a way to pump damage only since I cannot find any cross reference or source skimming through both books, except I find this under Magic Missile:

For example, at Rank 1, a magic-user that cast Magic Missile at 3 Intensity would achieve the longer range, however no additional missiles will be generated.

An apparently clear reference to extending range through use of increased Intensity... ???

It very much depends on the spell, especially in classic fantasy. The spells in classic fantasy are normally cast at an intensity you decide and pay for (in the cost of the spell) and have effects in the spell. So fireball increases its range (in the spell header) and it’s damage (in the spell text, according to the spell damage table). Haste it increases duration, etc. 

It really depends on what the spell did in AD&D as to what gets boosted in Classic Fantasy. For the most part, anything that had effects that increased per level, are instead increased per Intensity in Classic Fantasy. So, some spells might only see their damage get an increase, while others, like Illusionary terrain for example, see their Area of Effect, Range, and Duration all increase.

What I did different from the first edition of Classic Fantasy however is that where in the first each effect had to be increased separately, in the new version increasing Intensity increases all variables that are dependent on it. So it is no longer necessary to increase each individually.

Rod

Edited by threedeesix
  • Like 2

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

On 9/18/2019 at 4:23 PM, Raleel said:

It very much depends on the spell, especially in classic fantasy. The spells in classic fantasy are normally cast at an intensity you decide and pay for (in the cost of the spell) and have effects in the spell. So fireball increases its range (in the spell header) and it’s damage (in the spell text, according to the spell damage table). Haste it increases duration, etc. 

Where are you seeing this in Fireball?

Fireball
(Evocation)
Cost: 3, +1/additional Intensity
Area: 6 m (20 ft) Radius
Casting Time: 2 Actions
Duration: Instant
Range: 10 m (30 ft)/Intensity
Resist: Evade
On the first Turn of casting, as the magic-user begins the verbal incantation and gestures, a small cinder or spark-sized flame begins to form in the hand, slowly enlarging to a small ball of fire. On the second Turn, the incantation complete, the magic-user gestures, tossing the ball, which detonates with a low roar into a massive ball of fire. It delivers damage based on the Spell Damage Table to all victims in the area of effect. This damage is applied to each hit location with Armour Points counting as half normal. Magic armour may apply its entire Magic Bonus as well. A successful Resistance roll allows the victim to suffer only half the rolled damage. A Fireball has a chance of igniting flammable materials. See ‘Fires’ in Chapter 6 for additional information.

Yes, this is trivially house ruled and I think I actually found the source of my issue.  Fire(ball) in BRP 4th allows for alterations in number of hexes covered by the AoE and increasing the damage.

This works, if it isn't clearly stated (like with Haste), then intensity is only relevant on odd numbers (when the damage goes up).

Thanks for the assist.

On 9/18/2019 at 5:21 PM, threedeesix said:

It really depends on what the spell did in AD&D as to what gets boosted in Classic Fantasy. For the most part, anything that had effects that increased per level, are instead increased per Intensity in Classic Fantasy. So, some spells might only see their damage get an increase, while others, like Illusionary terrain for example, see their Area of Effect, Range, and Duration all increase.

What I did different from the first edition of Classic Fantasy however is that where in the first each effect had to be increased separately, in the new version increasing Intensity increases all variables that are dependent on it. So it is no longer necessary to increase each individually.

Rod

Thanks, useful design note.  While I can and do house rule my own stuff, I prefer to know the designer's intent.

20 minutes ago, Algesan said:

Where are you seeing this in Fireball?

Yes, this is trivially house ruled and I think I actually found the source of my issue.  Fire(ball) in BRP 4th allows for alterations in number of hexes covered by the AoE and increasing the damage.

This works, if it isn't clearly stated (like with Haste), then intensity is only relevant on odd numbers (when the damage goes up).

Thanks for the assist.

20 minutes ago, Algesan said:

Cost: 3, +1/additional Intensity
Area: 6 m (20 ft) Radius
Casting Time: 2 Actions
Duration: Instant
Range: 10 m (30 ft)/Intensity

This part (the /intensity) part increases the range. so a 2 intensity fireball (4 point cost, 3+1) will go 20m

and

21 minutes ago, Algesan said:

It delivers damage based on the Spell Damage Table to all victims in the area of effect.

the spell damage table is found on p 124 of Mythras Classic Fantasy. the aforementioned intensity 2 fireball does 1d4 points of damage. If you upped it to intensity 3, it would have a base cost of 5, a range of 30m, and damage (as per the spell damage table) of 1d6

On 9/21/2019 at 10:55 AM, Raleel said:

This part (the /intensity) part increases the range. so a 2 intensity fireball (4 point cost, 3+1) will go 20m

and

the spell damage table is found on p 124 of Mythras Classic Fantasy. the aforementioned intensity 2 fireball does 1d4 points of damage. If you upped it to intensity 3, it would have a base cost of 5, a range of 30m, and damage (as per the spell damage table) of 1d6

Yes, I am blind.

Thanks.

• Like 2