WeAreAllUs: HeroQuest Glorantha adventure 'Highwall Inn' available to download in honor of Greg Stafford

MOB

1872571989_HighwallInncover.png.244a9fa0980a66a0a5c4d06983010472.png

To mark the first anniversary of the passing of Chaosium founder Greg Stafford, we're encouraging Chaosium fans and gamers in general to play a tabletop game in his memory from October 10 to October 31.

A free HeroQuest Glorantha adventure Highwall Inn has been written by HQ line editor Ian Cooper in Greg's honor.The world of Glorantha was Greg's creation in 1966; and is now one of the oldest, most detailed, and most influential roleplaying settings ever published.

Download Highwall Inn:

What better way to honor Greg Stafford's legacy than getting your friends together and playing a tabletop game in his remembrance!

#weareallus

• Like 9
  • Thanks 7

I read the scenario and like it.

Especially I like the constant changing interest groups that arise from the backgrounds of the pregenerated characters and the sequence of events.

I feel like running it at a con, the only problem is the number of participants. In my eyes the scenario seems to work best if all pregenerated characters are taken. So, I´d like to have 7 players. What happens if I´ll find less participants? I´ll have to think about it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/14/2019 at 9:02 AM, Chiarina said:

I feel like running it at a con, the only problem is the number of participants. In my eyes the scenario seems to work best if all pregenerated characters are taken. So, I´d like to have 7 players. What happens if I´ll find less participants? I´ll have to think about it.

When I run games at Cons, I assume that I won't get enough Players and adjust things accordingly. So, no PC is vital to the plot, any PC can be left out and so on. However, if some PCs are vital to the plot and shouldn't be left out, just have those as core ones and don't bring out the other PCs until the core ones have been chosen.

On 10/29/2019 at 12:43 PM, Chiarina said:

I just enrolled to run it at a con in two weeks.

Excellent! Which con are you running at?

On 10/29/2019 at 12:43 PM, Chiarina said:

Wish me enough preparation time and 7 players!

7 Players is a lot for a Con game. I normally expect 3 or 4 and am surprised if I get more.

However, good luck and I hope you get your 7 Players.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

42 minutes ago, soltakss said:

However, if some PCs are vital to the plot and shouldn't be left out, just have those as core ones and don't bring out the other PCs until the core ones have been chosen.

The flip-side is making sure that none of the PCs are inconsequential in comparison to the core characters.  I've been the player of non-vital pregens at conventions where it's been acutely obvious, especially when awards for "best player" were handed out.

While I didn't make it in under the We Are All Us wire, I've been working on an adaptation of Highwall Inn to the Mythic Russia character tropes instead of Glorantha, with a dark, mid-Winter "Gothic blood opera" one-shot in mind.  I've been mindful to keep all of the characters in relative balance with each other, even if not all of them might see play.

!i!

Edited by Ian Absentia

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

13 hours ago, Ian Absentia said:

The flip-side is making sure that none of the PCs are inconsequential in comparison to the core characters.  I've been the player of non-vital pregens at conventions where it's been acutely obvious, especially when awards for "best player" were handed out.

Yes, that is a lot easier to do when writing your own scenario.

With something like Highwall Inn, you are constrained, to a certain extent, by the scenario and how it has been designed. Obviously, a GM has leeway and can amend the scenario as it is run, but there may well be parts that rely on a particular PC.

I haven't read any of the new RQ scenarios, as I hope to play them at Conventions.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

I think, "Highwall Inn" is a really great one shot scenario. It reminds me on legendary things like "Jailbreak" for Unknown Armies. I´m sure, you can have a memorable evening with it. Unfortunately I think the best chance for the scenario to unfold its potential is the full lineup. In great adventures like this I´ll not content myself with less favorable terms.

So, what am I going to do? I´ve written a punchy bulletin with phrases like "fateful encounters", "Quentin Tarantino feeling moved to Glorantha", and "a night to remember", I´ve announced that the scenario will need 7 players and I´ve signalized that I have a more modest HeroQuest scenario for less players under my belt.

The con is a big german con (Dreieich Con) known for its notorious lack of gamemasters. If I get 7 players I´ll run "Highwall Inn", if there will be less players I´ll run the alternative scenario.

In the last case, I´ll spare "Highwall Inn" for a later date at which I´ll invite players personally.

Good plan?

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

the scenario is interesting, yet the publication lacks user-friendly design:

it would be much better and more useful if pregenerated characters each had his own page - just to print and distribute among your players.

[edit] i've made pdf with print-and-use characters, it is in downloads section

Edited by narsilion
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 1

jar-eel_crimson_bat.png