Changes to the Supreme Collegium

While prepping my game, I took a look at the versions of the Supreme Collegium in GPC (pp. 36-37) and Uther (p. 123). Between the two, the makeup of the Collegium has changed drastically. Although the number of members are roughly the same, the GPC version is made up mostly of nobles, while over half of the members in Uther are clergy (or at least representing ecclesiastical holdings).

I haven't found a note saying why this was changed in the books or online, and it doesn't make much sense. Uther (p. 121) mentions that Rome farmed out administrative tasks to ecclesiastical officials, but that doesn't explain how the British Christian representatives got on the Collegium.

This has some minor effects - such as changing Ulfius' role, and making the embassy to Lindsey in 487 of lesser importance - but it also would change Uther's game plan significantly in terms of getting support to become High King (e.g. how he handles confessions). I feel overall it pushes his actions over the line from insensitive to dumb.

With that in mind, I think I'll use the GPC version in my game. What do you do?

I use KAP core rules and GPC asa bedrock for the details of play.

all supplemental material is there for me to cherry pick and use as extra details as I find inspiring and more fun. But never as something requires more work when it comes to squaring one with the other. (Like the shift in all the names!)

My guess is someone is about to arrive with a link or two going back a Nocturnal Forum where changes in the Collegium were hashed out. But I was never part of the Nocturnal forum discussions.

In general, I've realized, if I need a link back to a forum for certain kinds of fans of KAP to use the supplemental materials I'm not going to concern myself with those supplemental materials.

"But Pendragon isn’t intended to be historical, just fun.
So have fun."

-- Greg Stafford

2 hours ago, creativehum said:

I use KAP core rules and GPC asa bedrock for the details of play.

all supplemental material is there for me to cherry pick and use as extra details

That;'s really the way to go about it. Generally I try to incorporate most things, but I don't feel constrained to use every change. I also try to gloss over any contradictory stuff or stuff that I don't have a good enough handle on to run properly. 

3 hours ago, SaxBasilisk said:

While prepping my game, I took a look at the versions of the Supreme Collegium in GPC (pp. 36-37) and Uther (p. 123). Between the two, the makeup of the Collegium has changed drastically. Although the number of members are roughly the same, the GPC version is made up mostly of nobles, while over half of the members in Uther are clergy (or at least representing ecclesiastical holdings).

I suspect that is partly because of one of the major references for Pendagon, Geoffrey Mommoth's HRB. In it, the Archbishop of London is a major political factor and leads the delegation to Amorica to offer King Aldronius the crown, and who ultimately returns with Constatin. Archbishop Dubricus also seems to have a lot of clout during the Sword In the Srtone incident.So that would support a strong (Roman) church presence in the SG.

3 hours ago, SaxBasilisk said:

I haven't found a note saying why this was changed in the books or online, and it doesn't make much sense. Uther (p. 121) mentions that Rome farmed out administrative tasks to ecclesiastical officials, but that doesn't explain how the British Christian representatives got on the Collegium.

That's probably due to historical reasons. British Christian was at least partially based on the teachings of the British monk Pelagius. Pelegianism was eventually condemned by the Roman Church but had a strong following, especially with some of the upper classes in Britain. In fact this is why St. Germancus came to Britain, twice. So it seems likely that the leader of British Christian also had some influence. In fact, one of the leaders who debated against Germanicus, Named Agricola, was the son of a (Roman)Bishop. So that could explain why they could have a presence on the SG-they have a higher standing with the British Knights than the Roman Church does. 

Now all that said (well, typed) there is no reason why you have to adhere to one list of another for your game, and I don't think it is really something you need to worry to much about, as few if any PKs will ever sit on the SG.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.