The Strangled kitten

Butters

As I remember it went something like this -

1. An alchemist fumbled and blew out the back wall of the inn when his philosophers stones went critical (much use of hero points to survive the blast without losing significant body parts) and left the building unconscious on a stretcher.

2. A Highwaywoman (and unbeknownst to everyone else a witch) took her leave by means of magickal flight.

3. A cavalier fop and samurai alchemist made a good fist of the start of the fight but eventually decided surrender to the enemy forces was the best chance of survival (even then it was a close run thing to get the players to even consider surrender and the threatening of innocent by-standers was needed to tip the balance)

This provided further hours of endless fun involving escape form prison, stolen iron horses, secret witchcraft, the usual crop of blind and deaf guards and a parliamentarian who found she could turn into a bear.

In seriousness the party must consider either surrender or flight as these are the only means of survival - a full blown fight means it's new character time.

• Thanks 1

Oops,

Think I got confused with another inn later in the campaign, they all blend into one after a while!

I think the Strangled Kitten episode only resulted in one PC getting possessed by a witch and a side quest of rescue whilst avoiding booby traps and undead in her farm house, my players tend to go off script at the slightest hint or minor clue from me, shame!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

My one was fairly tame they got the idea that the stranger/saboteur is maybe not the person they thought it was, the young lady was saved from a life as a "Flower seller" and they after a tense moment or to finally agreed that she would be safest in the care of Justice Cameron.

It was a little difficult to avoid bloodshed as the staff at the Kitten were all dodgy and as described old man Justice is creepy as hell and not the kind of person you would ideally let near a young lady let alone look after one.

And I really wanted to avoid a gun fight where a Justice of the Peace gets killed and having to deal with the fallout its a fun scenario but it does maybe need the G.M to say to the players "Think Agatha Christie not Bloodbath at the 9th Precinct"  

Edited by Butters

• 4 months later...

I’ve run this twice and it’s gone really well both times. one was a proper full on investigation (talked to all girls separately etc) and resulted in the correct conclusion.  The second was with a group that liked role  playing the characters incompetence. So they got the main plot points but missed some stuff 

Oh - think the investigation through carefully before you run as there are a couple of bits that don’t quite add up - or at least are a bit unclear if I remember. 

it’s one of my favourite bits of that excellent adventure (I LOVE) Cambridge too...

Edited by Jeff Mindlin
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/9/2020 at 3:24 PM, Jeff Mindlin said:

I’ve run this twice and it’s gone really well both times. one was a proper full on investigation (talked to all girls separately etc) and resulted in the correct conclusion.  The second was with a group that liked role  playing the characters incompetence. So they got the main plot points but missed some stuff 

Oh - think the investigation through carefully before you run as there are a couple of bits that don’t quite add up - or at least are a bit unclear if I remember. 

it’s one of my favourite bits of that excellent adventure (I LOVE) Cambridge too...

Thanks for the reply my Players figured things out fairly quickly after one or two false starts including the twist which was a little awkward but they got all the clues and even made some extra cash out of the whole incident. I made a few mistakes I forgot about a certain piece of clothing and played the J.P a little too well as the Party were unsure if they really wanted to let him take you know who as his ward.

On 7/6/2020 at 7:13 PM, Butters said:

Thanks for the reply my Players figured things out fairly quickly after one or two false starts including the twist which was a little awkward but they got all the clues and even made some extra cash out of the whole incident. I made a few mistakes I forgot about a certain piece of clothing and played the J.P a little too well as the Party were unsure if they really wanted to let him take you know who as his ward.

Cool. It’s fun isn’t it? I think the clothing was the bit that was unclear? I think I remember that the rooms locations etc didn’t quite add up. 

Enjoy the rest of the journey - some great bits to come. As I said I had a great time in Cambridge with the bun seller etc. 

Makes me want to run this again thinking about it. I’ve been running dark streets which I love but there is not enough adventure support, so I’m nearly out of ideas. 
mid I have one complaint about C&W it’s that they pout out too many games with not enough support. 
I’m also looking at clockwork  and Cthulhu which is good but I just prefer stuff without ‘Thulu as it’s so ubiquitous and can be  a bit obvious. 

• Like 1

On 7/8/2020 at 5:05 PM, Jeff Mindlin said:

Cool. It’s fun isn’t it? I think the clothing was the bit that was unclear? I think I remember that the rooms locations etc didn’t quite add up. 

Enjoy the rest of the journey - some great bits to come. As I said I had a great time in Cambridge with the bun seller etc. 

Makes me want to run this again thinking about it. I’ve been running dark streets which I love but there is not enough adventure support, so I’m nearly out of ideas. 
mid I have one complaint about C&W it’s that they pout out too many games with not enough support. 
I’m also looking at clockwork  and Cthulhu which is good but I just prefer stuff without ‘Thulu as it’s so ubiquitous and can be  a bit obvious. 

Yeah I missed the bloody corset? hidden outside and I was a little on the back foot when my Players immediately guessed the assassins secret which made it a little awkward 🙄 

They have just entered the Tainted lands with a bang by wiping out a band of slightly odd peasants who were looking for food, I think they have been traumatised by the journey so far and now shoot first, second and possibly thirdly just in case. I will keep an eye out for the bun seller 😉

Sadly I think C&C will probably not be the same again after Mr. Walton's illness but Lamentations of the Flame Princess seems to provide a lot of inspirational material that can be fairly easily adapted to the C&C rule set. I played in a year long campaign run by a guy who pretty successfully patched and sewed together most of it from LotFP material which was great fun even if it went a little too Gonzo at the end.

On 7/13/2020 at 3:01 PM, Butters said:

Yeah I missed the bloody corset? hidden outside and I was a little on the back foot when my Players immediately guessed the assassins secret which made it a little awkward 🙄 

They have just entered the Tainted lands with a bang by wiping out a band of slightly odd peasants who were looking for food, I think they have been traumatised by the journey so far and now shoot first, second and possibly thirdly just in case. I will keep an eye out for the bun seller 😉

Sadly I think C&C will probably not be the same again after Mr. Walton's illness but Lamentations of the Flame Princess seems to provide a lot of inspirational material that can be fairly easily adapted to the C&C rule set. I played in a year long campaign run by a guy who pretty successfully patched and sewed together most of it from LotFP material which was great fun even if it went a little too Gonzo at the end.

That’s really interesting, thanks. I know nothing of LOTFP other than a glance at well produced books. Any particular titles you recommend?? 
I had a lot of fun in the tainted lands also. The preacher was memorable and the strangers in the night in the village! I had a player whose character was fascinated by ghosts and so sat and watched the whole of naseby replayed. Then I hit em with a witch hunter straight after. 
Let us know how it goes..

• Like 1

I must admit LotFP can be a tricky resource as some of their adventures are very gonzo but for ideas we have used in the past,

Forgive Us,

Scenic Dunnsmouth (Slightly tweaked but a cool way to get a quick creepy village up and running)

The Idea from Space (Heavily adjusted but again gave a few interesting ideas) if I remember the G.M got the whole gods/demons being ideas story line from it which was cool as we had to stop that idea from spreading which played well with the civil war period where crazy ideas flourished, ranters etc.

Tower of the Stargazer, The G.M used it for a mini dungeon crawl of weirdness could be used for an Invisible college facility. 

Doom cave of the Crystal headed children, A weird one but could be tweaked to a Pied Piper/Witchcraft type situation we had fun playing it and the moral choices it threw up but the Dungeon crawl did get a little tedious. So again like a lot of these products they need a bit of work but provide plenty of resources to dig out. 

The God that Crawls didn't get to use this as far as I know but it seemed a pretty solid resource and I think the G.M is now using chunks of Death Frost Doom.

16 hours ago, Jeff Mindlin said:

That’s really interesting, thanks. I know nothing of LOTFP other than a glance at well produced books. Any particular titles you recommend?? 
I had a lot of fun in the tainted lands also. The preacher was memorable and the strangers in the night in the village! I had a player whose character was fascinated by ghosts and so sat and watched the whole of naseby replayed. Then I hit em with a witch hunter straight after. 
Let us know how it goes..

This has some LotFP resources and some other handy information for the 17th century,

https://hexelis.blogspot.com/2020/07/updated-17th-century-timeline.html

Edited by Butters