Dipping my toes into BRP via OGL variants (Legend, OpenQuest, Revolution D100, Renaissance, et al)

craigm

Hi all,

I've been a long-time GURPS fan (started around 2008 and collected many of the books for GURPS 3e and 4e). I finally realized that GURPS for me was moribund because there was only one company keeping it alive. I'm thrilled to find that there are several companies keeping the BRP-style systems alive, and many of them are OGL based (along with Mythras' liberal "Gateway" license).

I'm really enjoying the different perspectives and takes on the rules. It's helped me understand the rules better and how best to hack with them. Also it's opened me up to different settings, many of which are best-in-class versions of various settings.

I think the OGL and open licenses are key to helping a game system grow, and I'm heartened that Chaosium is also considering opening their systems up even more (even if they're not OGL-specific, there's always Creative Commons. ;) )

I sold off my GURPS stuff and archived my PDFs so I could focus on more open systems. I'm grateful there are so many and hope to make contributions to this community.

Edited by craigm
spelling
  • Like 1

Glad you like them.

The number of OGL-D100 games are such that there is a lot of variety. They are similar enough that you can use bits from one game in another fairly easily. Revolution is a bit more difficult, but the skills/traits are so easy that you can use other systems with Revolution Rules very easily.

One thing I like is that each Publisher has a set of genres that the other Publishers generally don't interfere with. Where there is an overlap, the supplements are generally complementary.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

2 minutes ago, soltakss said:

One thing I like is that each Publisher has a set of genres that the other Publishers generally don't interfere with. Where there is an overlap, the supplements are generally complementary.

I think you're mostly right but that might chnge a little now that The Design Mechanism is putting out a horror RPG based on Gumshoe.

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!