Difference in starting value in <Listen>

AoiCuloun

I posted this because I couldn't find a answer and was just curious. What is the reason for the difference in starting value in <Listen> roll for investigators in 1920 vs modern?

This is the 1920 version Investigator Sheet from Chaosium's website(<Listen>20%).

https://www.chaosium.com/content/FreePDFs/CoC/Character Sheets/Character Sheet - 1920s - basic autocalc - Call of Cthulhu 7th Ed.pdf

Investigator Sheet/Modern version(<Listen>25%).

https://www.chaosium.com/content/FreePDFs/CoC/Character Sheets/Character Sheet - Modern - basic autocalc - Call of Cthulhu 7th Ed.pdf

both data is consistent with the my data in the rule book. At first I've thought this was some easy mistake but found "Errata CoC 7th" files from this website and in there it does not state this as a error. I'm beginning to think that this was done in a intentional way and just wanted the logic behind this choice.

I've done my own research on the 1920's and find that many modern inventions are making cars more and more quiet which maybe why they chose to go with 25% for modern. Maybe there were more factories that made noise. 

The more I use the CoC 7th edition the more I understand how the rules reflect whats common sense in our society.  So I just felt there might be something I could kind of learn from this.

7 hours ago, Mike M said:

my advice has always been to ignore the error on the sheet.

Or to find convoluted excuses about why modern-day people are slightly better at listening.... like... errr, we can use our smartphones to record things and then play that back at higher volume! That's worth 5%!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

38 minutes ago, lordabdul said:

Or to find convoluted excuses about why modern-day people are slightly better at listening.... like... errr, we can use our smartphones to record things and then play that back at higher volume! That's worth 5%!

“Hey Siri, did you hear something?” 
“I’m sorry Dave, I can’t play that. I wouldn’t want to scare you, Dave.”

Edited by Cloud64
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2