The Illusionist

Bill the barbarian

I have not played Call of Cthulhu this century, but I have played it and ran it and enjoyed it immensely. It is a game best played in a cabin near the mountains without electricity and a good wind howling (I know from personal experience). But that is not he point of this post or topic.

So, to the point, then eh? Tonight, I was taking a break* and watching a film from 2005 that I missed entirely during its run: The Illusionist. Truly brilliant and one that every CoC keeper and player must see. The pacing is brilliant, the actors led by an ensemble cast of Ed Norton, Paul Giamatt, Rufus Sewell, and Jessica Biel rock and the cinematography: evocative. Though the time period of Imperial Austria at the end of the 19th century places it well within the realm of Cthulhu by Gaslight, I felt it should inspire any inventive keeper to up his game. Give it watch and see if you agree.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443543/

I know IMDB says 2006 but the end credits say 2005.

*The break was being taken from editing a fantastic project: a new monster of the month by @Crel. It is truly a joy to work on, and I recommend you employ your library skills and seek it out at Drivethrurpg in a few days... it will be done soon, honest, but an editor has to have a break, no?

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

10 hours ago, seneschal said:

No, no!  Don't finish the monster, or attempt to assemble a mate for it!  Let it rot on its slab in that remote wind-swept cabin while you flee back to civilization to regain what is left of your sanity and humanity.  Think of all the innocent lives you will save.  😳

To which I must answer, sauve, qui peut!

Flee, man, flee!

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!