El Clon

seneschal

Yet another scenario seed for my fellow Cthulhu-philes to twist and play with.  During her enforced sabbatical my wife has been binge-watching "El Clon," a Mexican remake of a Brazilian telenovela set in modern Morocco.  It is stranger than Star Trek and Babylon 5 together ever dreamed of being.

The plot has something to do with a Sexy Young Thing who finds herself romantically drawn both to a distinguished older gentleman and an attractive man closer to her own age, both of whom have been treated for the same type of skin cancer at a nearby research hospital that also hosts a cutting edge fertility clinic.  The rest of the story resembles Real Housewives of Morocco --  shapely women seeking love, matrimony and babies while wearing as much cosmetics and as little clothing as possible despite the Islamic setting.  Do bitter relational and professional rivalries abound?  Of course they do!  In the middle of these shenanigans is an unscrupulous doctor willing to steal genetic material and even toddlers to further his scientific inquiries.

So what can we do with this?  The presentation is the most suds-laden of soap operas but the underlying situation -- a prestigious medical center concealing illegal and unprincipled experiments, is genuinely horrifying.  The physician needs to kidnap that cherished newborn, both to complete his research and hide his crimes.  And there is likely a practical reason the Sexy Young Thing lusts after both her lovers.

Edited by seneschal

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not quite getting the mythos angle...  I mean, soap operas do awaken a certain cosmic dread in me, but I don't think that is what you are going for.  On the other hand I am genuinely interested, so, perhaps a little more exposition is needed?  For example, what is the horror element?

Edited by Darius West

The Sexy Young Thing's lovers are the both the "same" man, the original and his younger clone, who was created by the unethical  doctor mentioned above.  She doesn't realize this, and I 'm not sure the men know, either.  Meanwhile, the evil researcher is still up to his old tricks, endangering the SYT's friends (clients of the fertility clinic) and their children (products of his experiments).  We know he's willing to steal genetic material and to attempt to kidnap small kids.  Will he stoop to murder as well, in true mad scientist fashion?  It is all very Arthur Jermyn to me.

Edited by seneschal