Multiple Attacks and different ranged weapons

There seems to be different rules regarding firing multiple times with different weapons:
Handguns: Fire 2-3 times with a penalty dice on all attacks. 
Semi-Auto Weapons: Fire 2-3 times no penalty first, +1 Penalty dice per successive attack
Shotguns: Fire twice, no penalty if at same target, penalty dice if a seperate target.

Is this all correct? Is there particular reason handguns work differently to other semi-auto weapons?

Also how do 2B and Semi-Auto shotguns work different, if at all, should a SA shotgun work as a SA rifle?

• Like 2

Just a guess here, but the shotgun mechanic might be here to represent the multiple pellets
And the semi automatic mechanic are here for automatic gun, when multiple bullet are fire continuously

I imagine the pistol trigger can also be triggered fast.. but somehow, it need to aim everytime (getting increasingly harder) where the semi automatic can swipe the room and is bound to hit something?

I guess they try to emulate the feeling of each machine, much like they do in video game! ^_^

In fact.. (I am not playing CoC), those rules are interesting! ^^

• Like 2

Firearms with the Fire Rate 1(3) - such as pistols - suffer the one die penalty on all attacks if you make more than one attack.

For double-barrelled shotguns, you can fire both barrels at a single target. It counts as two attacks, but since you just pull both triggers simultaneously, there is no penalty on the double attack. Whereas if you attack two targets, then you fire once, switch targets, then fire again - just like firing multiple shots with a pistol.

Automatic weapons have their own rules, but when you fire a burst of semi-auto fire, it's treated the same as other multiple attacks, so a penalty on each shot.

Sustained fully automatic fire deals with volley size, and extra bullets to move between targets, and other things. I'm hoping to avoid having to deal with the automatic fire rules in an actual game.

Edited by tendentious
  • Like 2

On 5/24/2020 at 2:09 PM, tendentious said:

Sustained fully automatic fire deals with volley size, and extra bullets to move between targets, and other things. I'm hoping to avoid having to deal with the automatic fire rules in an actual game.

I have similar feelings - the fully-automatic fire rules seem pretty clunky compared to the other firearm rules, to the point that you might keep such weapons out of the game just to avoid using them. Has anyone else come up with/tried a different system with any success OR have any comments on using these rules?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Karl Frost said:

I have similar feelings - the fully-automatic fire rules seem pretty clunky compared to the other firearm rules, to the point that you might keep such weapons out of the game just to avoid using them. Has anyone else come up with/tried a different system with any success OR have any comments on using these rules?

I haven’t used it yet but the new Delta Green assigns lethality to a weapon and if you roll under that, the target is dead. Seems a lot more simple and intuitive than the way CoC does it.

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

Also remember shotguns aren't impaling weapons unless a solid shot is used. An often overlooked disadvantage to them and no one seems to carry solid shots. Elephant guns have the 1 or 2 rule too. Pump actions don't have the "1 or 2" since they are single barrel. they have the ( ) which defines the shots that can be made. 

Edited by 4Acrossisemu
  • Like 1