Cooperating with Restoration Games?

I will understand if Chaosium cannot officially comment on thus, but there are news stories floating around that Restoration Games have filed a trademark application for "HeroQuest Legacies". 

After the well-deserved Kickstarter blocking over a previous attempt to redo the GW/MB boardgame HeroQuest, does this mean Chaosium have made an agreement with Restoration Games? If so, I wonder what role the RPG, or Glorantha, may play in a future redo of the old boardgame, so beloved of many. 

Edited by Psychman27

Here is what we have to say about the matter:

"Greg Stafford registered the HeroQuest trademark in 2002 for his HeroQuest Roleplaying game. Moon Design Publications became the licensed publisher of the HeroQuest RPG in 2006. In 2012 Moon Design purchased the HeroQuest trademark and other related IP from Greg Stafford. Moon Design continues to publish the HeroQuest RPG to this day, via Chaosium Inc. HeroQuest publications have largely been used for tabletop roleplaying in the fantasy world of Glorantha. In April 2020, Moon Design Publications published the Questworlds System Reference Document (SRD) so independent publishers could use the HeroQuest RPG core rules system for other game worlds and settings. Moon Design Publications does not currently have a licensing deal or any other business agreements with Restoration Games." — Rick Meints, president Chaosium Inc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I see that one person reacted to the above statement with the "confused" emoji. Moon Design Publications owns all of the RuneQuest/Heroquest/Gloranthan trademarks and related copyrights. Chaosium publishes all of those things for Moon Design via a license agreement. Neither Chaosium, nor Moon Design have any licensing deals or any business agreements with Restoration Games. 

• Thanks 2

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

We'll see what happens with this "HeroQuest Legacies" trademark application then. It could be an interesting ride... 

Oh, and thanks for correcting me re Moon Design and Chaosium. I had thought they were one and the same re Glorantha trademarks. If I dip my toe further into the discussions I know to be precise, now. 

Edited by Psychman27

13 hours ago, Psychman27 said:

We'll see what happens with this "HeroQuest Legacies" trademark application then. It could be an interesting ride... 

Hopefully there's communication happening behind the scenes.

It could avoid a lot of recriminations later.

C'es ne pas un .sig