End of The Company

Newt

The Company is ceasing to be published in a months time (Sept 18th).

Its currently available in both PDF and Print with free pdf over at the D101 web store.

Its had a long history with us since it was originally published in 2011 and had its roots in an OpenQuest Modern project that started in 2010.  Unfortunately it never recovered from the disappearance of its principal author, which makes doing a straight second edition difficult for a number or reasons. 

I've plans for a D100 game based on modern warfare, which will have elements of The Company, but it will have a different name and a wider scope. Look out for it in early 2021. 

But for now, in one month's time The Company will no longer be available. 

the-company-cover-webpreview.jpg

• Sad 3

Head Honcho of D101 Games
Publisher of Crypts and Things/Monkey/OpenQuest/River of Heaven
The Sorcerer Under the Mountain

It was an interesting  game.  Modern settings, particularly militaristic ones,  are  difficult to do properly. Typically they  bog down under massive layers of crunch (and this is from someone who tried to tried to run a 'Living Steel' game once).  'The Company' might have been a little too 'light';  though I started writing a scenario for it (a kind of mash-up with the basic premise meeting sword and sorcery), I never actually got  around to running a game so  I'm not sure how things would've come out on the table. 

• Like 2

On 8/18/2020 at 5:23 AM, Newt said:

The Company is ceasing to be published in a months time (Sept 18th) ...

☹️
This is one of my go-to recommendations for online users wanting modern military, special-ops, etc.  My own gaming-group has moved away from mil-sim (our most ardent mil-sim player, a former army brat, passed away a couple of years ago), so it's not where I'm playing at the moment; I still consider this to be an invaluable entry in the BRP-family gamespace!

Any chance of you keeping it going for another 6-9 months (ish) so your own new offering is closer to market, with a firm & imminent ETA?

Its currently available in both PDF and Print with free pdf over at the D101 web store.

I went to your webstore, where it's marked as being on backorder...?   Is that because new copies are being POD'ed, or some other glitch?   I'm presuming you know better (when you say it's available in print) than the automation knows; but in case that status is a glitch, I thought I'd mention it.  Had to gulp and reconsider the purchase, though, when I saw shipping costs across the pond (to the USA).   😞

... I've plans for a D100 game based on modern warfare, which will have elements of The Company, but it will have a different name and a wider scope ...

Would you be willing to say a bit more about this?
In particular:  what do you expect to be doing in that "wider" scope?  Color me intrigued!     (technical query:  what is the color of "intrigued"? 0x40A080 or so?)

C'es ne pas un .sig

16 hours ago, g33k said:

Any chance of you keeping it going for another 6-9 months (ish) so your own new offering is closer to market, with a firm & imminent ETA?

Nope, it was on life support as it was. I'm basically tidying house for the release of OpenQuest 3. If I don't gracefully retire it now, there will be no incentive for me to a new version. 

16 hours ago, g33k said:

I went to your webstore, where it's marked as being on backorder...? <snip>

Its available via Lulu as a POD book. I simply order a copy on your behalf.

However if you want to get round the horrendous shipping charges from me in the UK, try ordering direct: 

https://www.lulu.com/en/gb/shop/rik-kershaw-moore/the-company-soft-cover/paperback/product-1yzdq556.html

or

https://www.lulu.com/en/gb/shop/rik-kershaw-moore/the-company-hard-cover/hardcover/product-1zk5vy7v.html

17 hours ago, g33k said:

Would you be willing to say a bit more about this?
In particular:  what do you expect to be doing in that "wider" scope?

Ok first off, I'll probably be using the same non-OGL system that Skyraiders of the Floating Realms uses. Its faster and more cinematic than OQ, and a smaller rulesbase to start building on. 

I'll be bringing elements of The Company over, such as the equipment lists, but not the fine detail and certainly not the endless lists of ammo and guns. Although there will be a way of guns being detailed so that its not just "Rifle 1d8 damage, Automatic Pistol 1d6 damage" etc.

Characters will be made up of

An upbringing, this is background which tells you how they were brought up as a child.

A previous service. This was a career that they were in before becoming a Freelancer

Both of which will give them more skills/character options.

Then although technically they are a Freelancer (the modern equivalent of an Adventurer) because they've left their service, they will have an Organanisation, that gives them access to more training, equipment and other benefits going forward. The Blades Group, a  independent Private Military Service Provider (aka legal mercenary company)  from the The Company will be one of them. But I'm thinking rogue Shadow Government cells, those less than state-sanctioned mercenary groups, or civilian groups (such as a News Agency) as well. 

Overall I want a game that with supplements , covers all these possibilities: 

https://sorcererundermountain.d101games.com/2016/04/03/the-company/

The main rule book and its setting supplements/adventures will be nice 6 x 9 inch books . Like those thrillers you pick up from the book shop, or from the Airport stationers like my dad did when he was a frequent traveller abroad :D   

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Nothing additional was ever published for the Company.

Unfortunately the main author, disappeared from the Hobby.  

"Operation" was probably one of the convention scenarios, Operation Kamphor or Operation Mudbrick. Neither of which was ever published.

I've got tentative plans to do a sort of 2nd Edition, but it will probably have a different title and be more broader in scope.

• Like 3