d100rules is coming...

Trifletraxor

When I used to run RQ3 I tracked Fatigue Points religiously. Since I've started running MRQ and now RQII I've found I can't really be bothered. I occasionally use an ad-hoc fatigue system where I say "make a resilience roll, if you fail you gain a fatigue level" but on the whole I can't say that in the past three years I've thought "that session would have been improved if I had used fatigue points."

RQ3's fatigue system was pretty botched. That plus sorcery are the points most frequently mentioned. I dropped it when playing RQ3, but sort of missed not having any rules for it.

Here's mine...

"Fatigue: Exertion (e.g. combat) for a turn requires a CONx5 roll to avoid Fatigue (Movement, Initiative & all skills x1/2) or if already fatigued Exhaustion (x1/10). Recovery from fatigue requires rest for 1 hour; exhaustion 8 hours."

An add-on for those occasions it seems warranted, yes. Something to track all the time (or for spell-points) - heck, no!

I like the rule as it's simple and easy, but it does leave out the encumbrance part.

I'm currently toying with the idea of modding them up myself by turning them into Fate-like tracks. For encumbrance, you would get a certain number of slots for Heavy Items (like armour, big shield, very heavy weapons, or adventurer backpack), Medium items (weapons, small shields, rolls of rope, bags of coin, etc) and a space for Small objects. The number of slots allowed would be based on STR+SIZ. Encumbrance would only be in effect if a character exceeded his allowed slots. Any items could be moved to a larger slot. Small items can be bagged or containerised and the container put in a larger slot. For example, trying to carry loose arrows would occupy several small slots, but a quiver occupies one medium slot.

Fatigue would also be monitored on a track labelled something like Fresh, Winded, Out-of-breath, Spent, Handicapped. As a GM, I'll call for rolls every once in a while to test fatigue. The fatigue will be tested by CONx5 rolls. If the test is failed, fatigue drops a level. If fumbled, it drops two levels. If a critical is rolled, it may rise a level, representing second wind. Being fatigued will incur penalties to other actions, like a fixed penalty to action skill rolls, a reduction in speed or dex rank etc. Being over-encumbered will reduce the CON roll to CONx4 or less, depending on the level of over encumbrance.

Please share if you get something working! ;)

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm currently toying with the idea of modding them up myself by turning them into Fate-like tracks. For encumbrance, you would get a certain number of slots for Heavy Items (like armour, big shield, very heavy weapons, or adventurer backpack), Medium items (weapons, small shields, rolls of rope, bags of coin, etc) and a space for Small objects. The number of slots allowed would be based on STR+SIZ. Encumbrance would only be in effect if a character exceeded his allowed slots. Any items could be moved to a larger slot. Small items can be bagged or containerised and the container put in a larger slot. For example, trying to carry loose arrows would occupy several small slots, but a quiver occupies one medium slot.

Fatigue would also be monitored on a track labelled something like Fresh, Winded, Out-of-breath, Spent, Handicapped. As a GM, I'll call for rolls every once in a while to test fatigue. The fatigue will be tested by CONx5 rolls. If the test is failed, fatigue drops a level. If fumbled, it drops two levels. If a critical is rolled, it may rise a level, representing second wind. Being fatigued will incur penalties to other actions, like a fixed penalty to action skill rolls, a reduction in speed or dex rank etc. Being over-encumbered will reduce the CON roll to CONx4 or less, depending on the level of over encumbrance.

That's pretty much it - and that's all the thought I've put into it for now, too, but typing this has helped me flesh it out a little more than before.

That's interesting. RQII currently uses Fatigue Levels pretty much the same way as you outline but I had never thought of using slots for encumbrance. It would be interesting to see how that works. Does Fate already have the mechanic or is this an extrapolation?

The idea of a slots setup for encumbrance seems like a good idea as it takes encumbrance to a modular level that seems more useful than the RQ base version of "things" and transfers well to a character sheet.

Something to think about. How fleshed out is that?

Regarding fatigue. I use something similar to Frogspawner's and Thalaba's. For a house rule, I use a general fatigue chart that rolls against a Stamina stat after a turn. The Stamina stat is also house ruled but breaks down as CON+STR+DEX as a percentage (minus Encumbrance). For each turn, or failed roll against Stamina, the below chart drops one category. Two, if Stamina is fumbled.

Each shift in the chart after the first (Fresh) drops combat skills by a percentage of the total combat skill used. No bonuses for crits.

0 / -10%/ -25%/ -50% /-75%

Fresh/Winded/Tired/Exhausted/Incapacitated

Replacing the Stamina house rule with CONx5, x4, x3 etc. also achieved the same effect.

Edited by Sayerson

Say no to censorship

• "Did he say he was a Rune Lord or that he knew one?"
  • "Go, and never darken my towels again."
  • "Ach Crimmens! Ye smited me...ye craven. Worra, worra. What would me Mum say?"

I like the rule as it's simple and easy, but it does leave out the encumbrance part.

Well, you didn't actually ask about encumbrance, now did ya? ;) But since you ask so nicely, here's mine rule for that...

"Encumbrance Capacity: SIZ x (STR + 10) / 20 (x14 lbs). Over half Encumbers: Movement, Initiative & Dex-based skills are x1/2.

Armour Burden (Light/Moderate/Heavy) can affect physical (generally DEX-based) skills, movement rate and magic spell-casting.

Light: no skill penalty, -1 Move, +10% Magic fumble. Moderate: Skills x1/2, -2 Move, +20% Magic fumble. Heavy: Skills x 1/10, -3 Move, +30% Magic fumble. Listen/Spot skills are greatly disadvantaged (x1/10) in Full/Great Helm; Lock-picking, Shooting Bows and Playing Instruments are impossible in Gauntlets. Anyone not trained to the burden of armour is automatically Encumbered."

Not so neat as the Fatigue rule, and I don't usually invoke it. But it's there, just in case anyone tries anything too blatantly unreasonable... :)

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Well, you didn't actually ask about encumbrance, now did ya? ;) But since you ask so nicely, here's mine rule for that...

Not so neat as the Fatigue rule, and I don't usually invoke it. But it's there, just in case anyone tries anything too blatantly unreasonable... :)

A punitive measure held in reserve. Not as neat as you say, but I guess it works.

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

• 4 weeks later...