Terror Australis - Sydney map error

Aldaron

Just pointing out a pretty big error in the map on page 89. 

The key #2, Sydney Harbour Bridge construction is in the wrong place. The north end is correct, but the south end is sitting on Bennelong Point, the future site of the Sydney Opera House. The Harbour Bridge is entirely to the north-west of Circular Quay, and the southern end runs from The Rocks. 

The correct route is marked in red in the attached image.

835021095_Screenshot2021-01-04215254.jpg.d63977d7d914fa6a2e27c0e3a14e1831.jpg

• Like 3

No problem. I've added the current Google Maps image of Sydney for reference (the bridge is straighter than my image! :) )

The other line running across the harbour is the relatively n ew tunnel (opened in 1992). 

Screenshot 2021-01-04 222412.jpg

Edited by Aldaron
  • Like 1

For the record, the "Australian Team" who wrote the manuscript didn't actually draw any of the final maps that appear in the Terror Australis book. Those were done by other artists based on reference sketches. Below is the reference sketch I drew for the Sydney map, which (correctly) shows the future location of the Harbour Bridge. The Farm Cove/Parm Cove confusion might have come from the font that's used in this sketch, however -- the sketch does actually say Farm Cove (I double checked by zooming in the original drawing) but at lower resolution it's kind of hard to tell.

Dean (from Adelaide)

image.png.4669d49b810e246dad0319bec7d33b0a.png

15 hours ago, dce said:

For the record, the "Australian Team" who wrote the manuscript didn't actually draw any of the final maps that appear in the Terror Australis book. Those were done by other artists based on reference sketches. Below is the reference sketch I drew for the Sydney map, which (correctly) shows the future location of the Harbour Bridge. The Farm Cove/Parm Cove confusion might have come from the font that's used in this sketch, however -- the sketch does actually say Farm Cove (I double checked by zooming in the original drawing) but at lower resolution it's kind of hard to tell.

Dean (from Adelaide)

image.png.4669d49b810e246dad0319bec7d33b0a.png

Hi DCE. WIth respect, the reference map above shows the Harbour Bridge in the incorrect position. It's too far to the west and running between incorrect points (Miller's Point and Blues Point). Have a look at the Google Maps image I posted above - it runs from The Rocks (directly north-west of Circular Quay) straight across to Milson's Point. I've included the hybrid image from Google Maps, if that makes it any clearer.  

Screenshot 2021-01-06 004931.jpg

In case it's helpful to anyone in the interim until Chaosium re-draws the published version of the Inner Sydney map, here's a version of my rough sketch that corrects the (future) bridge location as per @aldaron's notes above.

1751572019_PlacesinSydneyE-01.thumb.png.2183195d2f42b5c66ef2fcfba02dc5cf.png

D.

• Like 2