How Humakt Learned to Grieve (Jonstown Compendium)

soltakss

I am pleased to announce a new Jonstown Compendium title from Chris Bell and Simon Phipp.

How Humakt Learned to Grieve is a systemless collection of four HeroQuests: How Humakt Learned to Grieve (Humakt Viewpoint), How Humakt Learned to Grieve (Companions Viewpoint), Why Ernalda is a Killer Too  and How Orlanth Became a Woman. 

Each HeroQuest follows the format provided in Secrets of HeroQuesting and has a section on how the Myth was turned into a HeroQuest, to help Games Masters create their own HeroQuests. The HeroQuests do not have stats for different rule sets but could be used for RuneQuest, QuestWorlds or 13th Age Glorantha.

So, prepare to enter the world of Myth and Magic and take your first steps towards becoming a Hero.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/345229/How-Humakt-Learned-to-Grieve?affiliate_id=66807

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

How Humakt Learned to Grieve has had its first Review, a 5* Review by Nick B, whoever that is:
Three new myths turned into rules-light heroquests, including authors’ notes on how to create your own. These would work well in *RuneQuest*, *QuestWorlds* or *13th Age Glorantha* – there are no statblocks, dice rolls or percentages, but plenty of details regarding the Runes, Passions or other abilities needed to succeed at each station. The “alternate version” of **How Humakt Learned to Grieve** tells the same heroquest from the perspective of the other gods helping Humakt. As an demonstration of how you can put *Secrets of HeroQuesting* to practical use, this is hard to beat. My only qualm is that the price is a bit steep (at $10 for 35 pages of digital content), but as silly elf game supplements go this is nicely done.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

Another 5* Review for How Humakt Learned to Grieve, this time by Mike V:
These are some very thoughtful takes on putting some grown up & challenging themes into a Runequest setting, the myths are very well written and really feel authentic and poignant and the HeroQuests around them are offer some great oppurtunities for Role Playing beyond "overcome this enemy challenge get this trick/toy".

The two views of one Hero Quest also give a really nice example of how a HeroQuest is all about your point of view and who you are within the myth, the slightly tricky concept of embodiment i.e aer you Orlanth enouth to be Orlanth in the HQ or are you closer to someone, which is talked about a lot in Glorantha but can be a bit hand wavy.

On 2/2/2021 at 12:22 PM, soltakss said:

My only qualm is that the price is a bit steep (at $10 for 35 pages of digital content), but as silly elf game supplements go this is nicely done.

Indeed steep HOWEVER... text is mostly clean of typos, story is well written, interesting and flexible. You can tell the work of the book was a labor of love and attention.

I say the price is well worth every penny paid for what you receive.

10 hours ago, FungusColombicus said:

text is mostly clean of typos

Mostly? 

Could you please PM me with the typos and I'll get them fixed? Or post them here, I have no secrets.

story is well written, interesting and flexible. You can tell the work of the book was a labor of love and attention.

Thanks, that would make a great review!

I say the price is well worth every penny paid for what you receive.

Pricing is always a bit of a nightmare to work out. I could have gone for 38x0.15 = $5.7, so $5 for a Bargain, but Secrets of Dorastor, Secrets of HeroQuesting and Book of Doom were all Bargains, so I thought I'd try something different. 

If sales are poor because it is expensive then I'll pitch the next one cheaper.

Also, if anyone is struggling to buy things, then let me know and I'll see what I can do to help.

Edited by soltakss
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, soltakss said:

Mostly? 

Could you please PM me with the typos and I'll get them fixed? Or post them here, I have no secrets.

I need to correct. No typos... none at all. The only corrections may be one or two apostrophes that I think needs to be added (will PM shortly). BY FAR this is the cleanest text I have read in Glorantha since I jump into the world.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:
10 hours ago, soltakss said:

Also, if anyone is struggling to buy things, then let me know and I'll see what I can do to help.

Ah, I love our community. 

And our typos are recorded forever. 😥

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...

How Humakt Learned to Grieve is now a Silver Best Seller! Many thanks to those that managed to push it across the line.

Now, we need to get Holiday Dorastor: The Temple of Heads and Holiday Dorastor: Spider Woods there. 

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/345229/How-Humakt-Learned-to-Grieve?affiliate_id=66807

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/356993/Holiday-Dorastor-The-Temple-of-Heads?affiliate_id=66807

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/363111/Holiday-Dorastor-Spider-Woods?affiliate_id=66807

MetalBestSeller-Silver.png

• Like 2

Hello, Chris Bell here. Thank you everyone who has supported Simon and I in the creation and promotion of this book. Also thank you deeply to everyone who has purchased. Simon provided the layout, art and heroquest essays, I did the actual myths. Simon has been a terrific partner and I thank him for this opportunity. 

I hope that this product helps make your Gloranthas and Glorantha games richer and more fun.

Also, buy the rest of Simon's works, they're amazing!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Groovetronic said:

Simon has been a terrific partner and I thank him for this opportunity. 

I couldn't have done it without your myths. When a myth makes me cry when I read it and again when I write the HeroQuest, I know it's a good one.

• Like 2