How one man became a king (comment on “virtual play”)

Here we are. I put my no-life and my sanity in your hands, poor readers who will (try to) read my project.

I will use the blog to write the story of Aendel and his company ( HOMBAK #1 ).. This story will be based on

• A virtual table: only one GM : me, and one player… me. It is not a true campaign log. More a story.

• The RQG rules, with my few house rules. The point here is to test some rules (for example is a sorcerer so useless as PC?) I am not excluding to cheat when the story could be broken due to a bad dice roll. In this case, I will note it here too. I may redo several times some scenes, to check hypothesis or just if the first dices were too generous for me the player or me the gm(critic or fumble)

• Different material and scenarii I get during my long life (oriflam rq, heroquest, rqg …)

• The knowledge I can find here (the forum) and elsewhere (the well, the wiki, some sites)

There are different challenges:

• How to not spoil the material. I will describe the between “adventures” and only some scenes more than the scenario itself, as the main frame is more social and storytelling than the “local” plot.

• How to not bore you. My French style is neither very bad, nor very good. But my English style is just non-existent or at least, I am unable to evaluate it (except the lack of vocabulary and grammar I face all the time) … I am counting on you (and linguee) to improve my text. Do not hesitate to mp to fix some ugly sentences.

• How to make no mistakes on Glorantha lore. I don’t want my Glorantha to vary, only some rq rules. Do not hesitate if you find something, I hope I would be able to realign with… the “truth”.

Then I will use the blog to tell the story, and some posts in this forum to comment it, hoping it will help some gm/players and at least help me to be challenged (gently of course!) and get some experience check in my own runes and skills.

A last comment about this expedition, I will present some house rules. The purpose is not to say “hey chaosium, you suck, see how smart I am”.

My house rules are made because in my case, I would prefer them than the official. Sometimes it is more complex, sometimes it is less than the official. That is just where I focus the play. I tend to simplify fight, and to complexify “relationship” (with people, with gods) because it is what I like, not because it is the way the world (and chaosium) would have to follow.

I hope I will give a little fun for some of you (if I have 100 “like”, I will try Uleria initiation, well… maybe 1000), few ideas, and some help to new gm who are afraid (as I were)  to face this wonderful Glorantha. There is always another way. Try, tell or roll but above all, have fun and sweet dreams.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

But my English style is just non-existent or at least, I am unable to evaluate it (except the lack of vocabulary and grammar I face all the time)

You are *faaarrrrrrr* too harsh on yourself!!! Just from this post alone (and all the others I've read), you have lots of (good) English style! 

(Me - university ESL teacher and IELTS examiner... So, fairly well qualified to evaluate professionally)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

You are *faaarrrrrrr* too harsh on yourself!!! Just from this post alone (and all the others I've read), you have lots of (good) English style! 

(Me - university ESL teacher and IELTS examiner... So, fairly well qualified to evaluate professionally)

thanks sir, now, you have to know that I need 10 minutes to write two sentences 😛

On 4/9/2021 at 12:29 PM, French Desperate WindChild said:

I hope I will give a little fun for some of you (if I have 100 “like”, I will try Uleria initiation, well… maybe 1000), few ideas, and some help to new gm who are afraid (as I were)  to face this wonderful Glorantha. There is always another way. Try, tell or roll but above all, have fun and sweet dreams.

This is your intent(Ideal) in writing, everything else is your ideas for the how to write.  I once had a conversation with Charles Green (Dragon Lines and The Celestial Empire) on writing fiction in which he said to me "That many Game (RPG) Creators struggle with writing stories. Later in a writing class there was a Scientist (Eric) who was trying to write Science Fiction. His story was Boring. There was nothing wrong with his theme or content. So why boring? I came to realize that the difference between Game Writers (and Scientists) an Creative Writers was that the style of writing is what I have come to call Detail writing and writers/Authors is that they are primarily Flow writers. Game Creators/Scientists is their books are detail driven, but stories are Character driven. I would recomend that you post first your House rules, then your story. However, write your story before you post your rules so that you have consistency. This a beginning not the end result. Be open to constructive criticism and you will be much surprised how well your writing can improve. (Not all criticism is constructive, so use discernment when reading criticism. Keep your Intent/Ideal as your primary guide.

And you will never be dissatisfied.

Good luck, and I will keep up with your post. I will be in terested in seeing how this turns out.

• Thanks 1