Brawling & Wrestling

Reflecting on combat and how big armor and big weapon change the flow of combat..
I realized I should do a lot more brawling, wrestling, pinning... (which I never did much! 😮 ) 

Gotta check out the rules tomorrow (right now it's in the middle of the night, can;t sleep 😞 ) 

But if anyone can refresh my memory or share their homebrew rule for wrestling, pinning someone, controlling weapon, open the helmet to by pass the armor, etc... that would be cool! 🙂 

Oh and also, what about shields? Somehow when they become loaded with stuck arrow they should lose functionality.. but with an average AP of 20 it ain't gonna happen... 😕 
Any tip there?

Edited by Lloyd Dupont

1 hour ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

Oh, and also, what about using big 2 handed weapon in the narrow corridor of a dungeon?
Doesn't that incurs some sort of penalty?

If you are talking Great Sword -- it is ideal for typical (10x10ft) dungeon corridor.

The Great Sword "ready" position is basically held upright, pommel near one's belt line. From there, one can drop the point forward to attack, can rotate body left/right to parry, and either drop to knee for low parries, or do a clockwise/counterclockwise (as appropriate) rotation of the blade (eg: from point up/pommel at belt, to point down/pommel at chest) to do a low parry.

The common Broadsword is actually at a disadvantage, since it is often swung starting from behind the back, around the side... Which has a good chance of hitting a comrade if one is advancing "Noah" formation (two-wide -- which gives each person just a 5ft wide space; and if one has a 3ft sword... Right hand person scrapes the wall with the blade, left hand person is scraping right hand's neck).

Two-handed spear... held rather level with the point in front of user.

Two-handed axe... that could be a problem...

Edited by Baron Wulfraed
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

Reflecting on combat and how big armor and big weapon change the flow of combat..
I realized I should do a lot more brawling, wrestling, pinning... (which I never did much! 😮 ) 

That only matters if the characters are going to do it. I think that you'll probably need some form of subdual damage, non-lethal combat to make that work. Otherwise, people will use weapons instead. Especially if they have high tech weapons that can knock an opponent out.

23 hours ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

Oh and also, what about shields? Somehow when they become loaded with stuck arrow they should lose functionality.. but with an average AP of 20 it ain't gonna happen... 😕 
Any tip there?

Yeah, look at RQ2-3. Both systems have rules where items stuck into shields affect their use. In a nutshell.

• Weapons of ENC 2+ or which are still held by the opponent prevent the shield from being used.
  • Weapons on ENC1-2 reduce the ability to use the shield by half until removed.
  • Weapons of less than 1 ENC do not affect the shield until 2ENC worth are stuck in the shield. Then they reduce shield use by half. If 4+ECN worth on such items are stuck in a shield, the shield is useless. 
  • 20 arrows = 1 ENC. A Dart is 0.5 ENC, and a Javelin 1.5 ENC. 

16 hours ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

Oh, and also, what about using big 2 handed weapon in the narrow corridor of a dungeon?
Doesn't that incurs some sort of penalty?

Not really, nor should it. Contrary to how many people think greatswords are used (with both hands together on the hilt like a baseball bat), the swords are actually very versatile and can be wielded in multiple ways.  Of particular worth here would be "half-swording" the technique where one hand is half way up the blade to aid in stronger thrusts. That would make a greatsword much like a spear in use, and quite good in a narrow corridor. You do not need tons of room for one to be effective.

• Thanks 1

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

1 hour ago, Atgxtg said:

That only matters if the characters are going to do it. I think that you'll probably need some form of subdual damage, non-lethal combat to make that work. Otherwise, people will use weapons instead. Especially if they have high tech weapons that can knock an opponent out.

The MoO thing is unfinished.. So we started some old D&D module of yore, with a BRP/MagicWorld/hobrew game system... Using my general MoO rules ^_^ But restricted to medieval equipment of course..

PC steam rolled the enemies... and I am thinking how could I make my  enemy more effective? or what went wrong?
My player had magic on their side... and also they rolled lots of impale special .. whereas my bandits and orc had mediocre rolls and no or weaker magic... So that might be it...

Regardless I am trying to think how could an average bandit challenge players.... And I see big armor as a big scary problem...
mm.. I also realize I got some weapon wrong (was using D6 bow for example)..
and ... I think I might tweak the combat resolution table (was using my table instead of BRP one, more specifically a better attack than defense didn't guarantee a hit in my table)

All sorted out.. I had some weapon damage wrong and I was not using my own resolution table properly! regardless I simplified it (fewer chance of misuse) and tuned done the damage output and simplified effects..

the enc vs shield rule is great! 🙂

Edited by Lloyd Dupont