Holiday Dorastor: Spider Woods (Jonstown Compendium)

soltakss

I am pleased to announce Spider Woods, another RuneQuest supplement in the Jonstown Compendium Holiday Dorastor series and my third collaboration with Leon Kirshtein.

Warning: Contains images of spiders, but they don't totally creep me out, so they might be OK for fellow arachnophobes.

If you have any questions, you know where to find me - Cowering in the middle of an open room, armed with a flyswatter. 

Edited by soltakss
  • Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

• 4 weeks later...

I really liked this one, got a vision for an arachnetaur character going into rage everytime they got accused for being a Scorpionman ... and in the end accepting to be the stead for the party´s trollkin and thus getting seen as a weird Uz thing instead of chaos  monstrosity ... and grumbling about it all the time.

(and as a spider afficiado I really, really, have to publish something about how spider venom really works because aaaaaaahhhh)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hteph said:

I really liked this one, got a vision for an arachnetaur character going into rage everytime they got accused for being a Scorpionman ... and in the end accepting to be the stead for the party´s trollkin and thus getting seen as a weird Uz thing instead of chaos  monstrosity ... and grumbling about it all the time.

(and as a spider afficiado I really, really, have to publish something about how spider venom really works because aaaaaaahhhh)

Thank you. Enjoy!

10 hours ago, Hteph said:

Thanks, glad you liked it.

Those tailless Scorpionmen with two extra legs are sneaky, and they use webs to put you off the scent. But, Storm Bulls know better.

10 hours ago, Hteph said:

That would be good.

We went with the RQG Spider Venom that paralyses its prey, just for convenience.

However, extra spider abilities are always good.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

I “consulted” on a venom blurb for a .... Pathfinder article many, many years ago, I’ll see if I can recreate it. In short the venom is extremly interesting because it is a mix of three different venoms (varies of course, but in general).

The first is a fast acting component that causes intense pain and makes muscles lock up, the classic paralytic spider effect. It however has a rather short duration and its main function is for hunting allowing the spider to wrap the prey in silk.

The second component is a corrosive venom that liquify the innards of the insect, it works best on exo-skeleton prey where the venom pass around the whole slushy inside and makes it easy to consume. This could be the source of the ghastly effects of the bite from Brown Recluse or that Australian trapdoor spider, but it is a bit controversial, it could be a secondary infection from flesh eating bacteria ... an intersting topic. Aaaannyway, it burns the circulatory system of a mammal pretty badly and is a feeding poison.

The last and perhaps interesting component is a neurotoxin that attacks muscle coordination and has a slow onset and a long duration. It is thought that this is a defensive venom making it possible for the spider to get away from something that is to big or to aggressive to eat, such as a wasp or another spider.

IRL humans this usually manifests as intense pain at first, a pus filled bite place and headache and nausea later on.

And one interesting thing is not only do the proportions differ between species depending on hunting strategy, it seems individual spiders can shift them around depending on purpose of the bite.

The perhaps most interesting aspect is that there is a possibility of brewing three different poison from the spider venom.

And did you know that the spider that “shoots” a net from their head, do it from a mutated venom sack (probably) and the net is not just sticky, but also venomous...

And this I can talk about for hours ... spiders has the fewest mitochondria per cell of all animals! They must have a stamina that sucks royally and .... and ... and ...