There are multiple reasons that people prefer a sword over a spear in the games I played since the early days:
1. Swords seemed to have more HPs (or APs)
2. We always played with special damage for slashing weapons as well as impailing ones, so there was not a huge difference in damage
3. We played with shaft of shaft rules where imapiling weapons got knocked aside with a successful parry by a shafted weapon
4. There is a cultural bias of people imagining their heros wielding a sword. Wielding two bastard swords was a mark of a true hero.
5. True Sword is a lot more available than True Spear in RQ
6. Yemalios were viewed as wimpy, Lunar bootlickers.