The Insurgency - Occupation Politics ?

rust

The invaders have landed on Somber after destroying the planet's government and military

infrastructure, they have secured all important locations, and their commander has been es-

tablished as the planet's military governor.

Well, what will he do now to control and rule the occupied planet ? :confused:

On my list I have so far:

- establish military law and put active resistance under the death penalty,

- try to secure all weapons and dangerous substances (e.g. explosives),

- search for the leading personalities of the previous government and arrest or execute them,

- put all potentially dangerous community leaders under house arrest or into a prison,

- purge the bureaucracy of all known loyalists of the previous government,

- issue new identity cards to make sure that those who went into hiding are without valid pa-

pers.

A clever military governor will surely have more ideas how to prevent the creation of a resis-

tance movement.

What else do you think he could do ?

Thank you. :)

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Propaganda to convince the populace that this take over is a good thing.

Get the old law enforcement force back up and running, though under your tight supervisor. People will feel much more secure if they see policeman plod on the street corner even if there are two carbine-armed goons behind him.

Create a public face using some low-charisma/low-intelligence members of the previous government - stooges so it looks like you are working with the locals.

Try and turn some low ranking members of the bureaucracy to your cause (payments/coercion/blackmail/whatever) so that if a resistance forms you have locals you can hopefully get on the inside/early.

Potentially create a resistance of your own using turned individuals as a core, both to identify people who would join and discredit any resistance efforts - if the resistance suddenly targets soft locations such as food distribution centers that impact the locals more then the invaders, the populace is less likely to view resistance efforts favorably.

Travel restrictions.

Shutting down/monitoring/ or co-opting local religious institutions and leaders - local religious bigwig extolling peace and patience can be quite useful.

House arrest is a bad idea. When you target someone, you want them out of the public eye and preferably in an unknown location where people cannot look to the family home as a focus of hope.

This is fun. have to think about his again when not befuddled due to lack of sleep.

[Edit] A couple more before collapse.

Control of utilities. A sudden increase of power consumption in a building can be a sign of resistance activity. Also, you have the ability to punish areas of resistance activity by temporary suspension of water, electrical or fuel services.

There will be smuggling activity so find it but instead of shutting it down you use it. Maybe you put some explosives out in the system that have chemical markers or even electronics trackers. You might loose a patrol but the intelligence gained would be worth the loss.

Increase the flow of alcohol and “mood relaxers”. A stoned populace is a peaceful populace. Resist the urge to pump a little “relaxer” into the water supply, nothing builds conspiracy theories faster then the idea that food and water supplies are being tampered with.

Keep the indoctrination/re-education of the young low key, nothing gets people up in arms faster then seeing their kids threatened.

Edited by Rob Thomas

You might also have the Military take control of some "key" businessses and Power Plants...

Indeed, a good idea. The colony's economy is based upon the mining and export of monazite,

and the main reason for the invasion is to gain control of this (in my setting) important strate-

gic resource, so the invaders will take care to control this industry as soon as possible.

(Charlie Chan)

Also you could have installed TV like screans everywhere, and take the 1984 approach and have constant "Big Brother" brain washing videos playing non-stop. Think up some catchy sayings that will rub your players the wrong way giving them a real reason why to take out the new government<VBG>!

Remember the key in any really good campaign is to always have plots within plots within plots to keep your players always on edge and guessing what they should do next. It has worked for me for 25+ yrs doing just that.

Penn

Old time RPGer of +34 yrs, player/DM/GM.

Remember the key in any really good campaign is to always have plots within plots within plots to keep your players always on edge and guessing what they should do next.

Yep, we call it the "Onion Approach", whenever the players manage to peel away one layer,

there are still dozens of others beneath ... >:->

(Charlie Chan)

Yep, we call it the "Onion Approach", whenever the players manage to peel away one layer,

there are still dozens of others beneath ... >:->

And it makes them cry.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

LMAO...actually my players call me a "Dick"...and will sometimes complain that there are to "Many" different directions to go in. Actually I plan always that each major "event" leads to something else and if missed or not pursued, make it grow in strength. I just love to see their faces when they figured if they had done this or that way back when alot of some issue might have been stopped. The end result my players "ALWAYS" look everything over and hardly miss a detail. They know better after all this time, BUT I still manage to "get them"...LMAO<bg>!!!

Penn

Old time RPGer of +34 yrs, player/DM/GM.

LMAO...actually my players call me a "Dick"...and will sometimes complain that there are to "Many" different directions to go in.

Nuke them from orbit.>:->

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.