Starter Set Ordered

svensson

I'm looking VERY forward to running my nieces through the Solo Adventure, letting them explore the rules and so on.

A good solo adventure can teach the knicks and knacks of game mechanics in a way that is often clearer and easier to understand than a GM. What's more, I sure I've gotten parts wrong [Passions, for example] so the ability to have a narrative example to straighten it out is going to be VERY helpful.

On 11/11/2021 at 7:35 AM, Baron Wulfraed said:

I expect to be banished for ordering /three/ sets. (no, not for "me, myself, and I" -- just one for "me").

One for the younger niece (who has a brat of her own...), and one for her D&D/Pathfinder GM (who has looked at some of the RQ stuff I'd already bought the niece).

You're giving the Gift of Runequest. Your wife will understand 😉

Six days later and still not shipped. I'm sure the warehouse nilmergs are doing their best, but I wants it!

EDIT: Aha - just changed to shipped. It's on it's way! Unfortunately the "tracking link" on my order page isn't a link, maybe that's a US thing and I'm UK. I have an order number but no way to track it. Oh well, it'll be a nice surprise.

Edited by simonh

Check out the Runequest Glorantha Wiki for RQ links and resources. Any updates or contributions welcome!

On 11/16/2021 at 12:05 PM, simonh said:

Six days later and still not shipped. I'm sure the warehouse nilmergs are doing their best, but I wants it!

EDIT: Aha - just changed to shipped. It's on it's way! Unfortunately the "tracking link" on my order page isn't a link, maybe that's a US thing and I'm UK. I have an order number but no way to track it. Oh well, it'll be a nice surprise.

Mine just arrived and it’s still showing as awaiting shipment on the order page. Also in the U.K., it looks like they weren’t kidding when they said overwhelming demand!

I will say that box is HEAVY. It weighs more than this beast which has miniatures and cardboard tokens in it (btw for anyone looking for a fun RPG for young kids this looks to be pretty good and it goes into the recent Pixar film Onward). 

The only heavier box I’ve got is Forbidden Lands which has a 200 and 250 page set of faux leather bound hardbacks in it! (I have started to fall down the rabbit hole of buying an RPG on the sole criteria it is in a box which can only end in bad places).  

but back to RuneQuest! Starter set is beautiful and has so much stuff in it. My one criticism is the covers seem to be printed on the same paper stock as the interior but I’m not whining (at least more than in this sentence) as it’s ridiculously cheap for the content and I want Chaosium to keep me supplied in dope box sets (and non boxed sets) RPGs for as long as possible. 

0824B98F-C293-4EBB-9190-33265C3EA893.jpeg

• Like 3

I got the box this morning and I'm equally impressed with it.

It's far, FAR more than 'RQ Lite', which is what I rather expected it to be. It's more like 'Intro to Glorantha' and I couldn't be happier about that.

First let me say that the maps are a VAST improvement over those in the RQG main rules. Legible, clear, and copyable for handouts. Excellent work there.

The Rules booklet [Book 1] is 'rules lite' to some degree, but not as much as many other efforts. It's 61 pages of the essential mechanics and it touches ALL the high points: basic skill rolls, all three forms of magic, worship, the economy, the environmental effects [falls, disease, extreme temps, etc.]. There's everything you need to play the game in those pages. Please note: it does NOT include character generation, but there are plenty of pre-gens supplied, see below.

Book 2 is 'The World of Glorantha' where the mythology and history of Glorantha is introduced. You also get a full-fledged city in Jonstown and its surrounding clan politics. It's a more generic, city-centered extension of The Red Cow Saga and is based after the Battle of Dangerford.

Book 3 was the one I had the most anticipation for... the Solo Quest. In it, we follow the iconic heroine Vasana Farnathsdaughter as she fights the Battle of Dangerford with Prince Kallyr's warband. As with all RQ SoloQuests, these adventures result in good things [Vasana being hailed a hero as Sartarite troops celebrate in the defeated Lunar's camp -- an Ancients warfare trope if ever there was one] to Vasana dying ignominiously. The rules are fully explored, from worship, to Passions, to actual battle with opponents fully as skilled as she is [and therefore very dangerous indeed]. I had great anticipation for this booklet, and those anticipations were met very well.

Book 4 is 'The Adventures Book', wherein we deal with the fall out from the Battle of Dangerford and return to the Rainbow Mounds -- and find out that there are more dangerous things in the dark than White-Eye the Troll!

We also get another half dozen fully generated Player Characters, including a Humakti, a Eurmal tattooist, a White Healer of Chalana Arroy, a Sartarite Storm Bull, a Pure Horse People Maran Gor [nope, not Yelm!], a Sable Rider from Prax [nope, NOT a Waha, Eiritha OR a Seven Mothers] and a 'civilized' Axe Sister of Babeester Gor.

Additional resources included are a set of dice, a couple of blank character sheets, a small quick reference document, a strike rank tracker for combat, and maps of Northern Sartar and the Rainbow Mounds large enough to game on.

The artwork is superb, as we have come to expect from this Great Reboot of Our Favorite Game.

If I have any complaint at all, it is this: the covers of the booklets are paper, not cardstock. Care will have to be taken to avoid tearing in use. All in all, that's a pretty minor issue considering the very reasonable price-point of $ 29.99 USD.

Let me also offer a personal note:

I'm privileged to be a friend of one of the Original Rune Questers, Sven Lugar. It was VERY heartwarming to see him recognized and referred to in the product. My wife and I got a particular laugh out of a 'Sven' playing Harmast in listed combat examples. It was a 'happy smile moment', which is very different from my usual 'sarcastic laugh' moments.

Edited by svensson
  • Helpful 2

The set it gorgeous, arrived yesterday. I'm going to have to look into ways to reinforce the covers. It's been a while since I used staple bound RPG books. Sticky plastic should do it. It seems a shame, but these are going to get used.

• Like 2

Check out the Runequest Glorantha Wiki for RQ links and resources. Any updates or contributions welcome!

On 11/20/2021 at 7:17 AM, simonh said:

The set it gorgeous, arrived yesterday. I'm going to have to look into ways to reinforce the covers. It's been a while since I used staple bound RPG books. Sticky plastic should do it. It seems a shame, but these are going to get used.

Well, you do have the PDF to copy a cover if you need to... but it's better if you don't need to.

At the very minimum, I'd suggest some clear packing tape as a booklet spine protector.