Various XP systems

Kränted Powers

2 hours ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

there are for me two ways on skill based rpg:

1) characters go to adventures (or between occupation, great idea) then use skills, and these skills progress

2) characters go to adventures, "open their eyes on the world" and gain some "global progress energy", then they progress somewhere, but not necessarly in the skills they used

personaly I prefer 1)

I would not transform the xp system (except for lore used between adventures, I dislike this restriction), I m globaly satisfied.

If I had to develop "not used skills". I would follow Ernalda teaching, there is always another way, like

study / training, as RAW

probably heroquest too,

or just adventure dedicated to something (whatever the success or the failure, there was a path pc followed and pc learned something).

I wasn't really suggesting that as a way to go  for a homebrew RQG as I would go with 1 for the great majority of Gloranthan campaigns too, I prefer my Glorantha to be nitty-gritty and semi-realistic in style, and pulling new skills out of the air (at a cost) doesn't really fit that style, but it's a stylistic choice and RQG can handle many different styles.