Incorporating the Colymar Campaign

Soccercalle

I am starting a RQ Campaign tonight starting in 1619. I will base it on Six Seasons in Sartar but will try to incorporate the Colymar Campaign from Sartar - Kingdom of heroes. I wonder if any one has played the Colymar Campaign with the adventurers resurrecting Hofstaring. What happens to him later? Wilö he be tribal king again? Are you having him as a rebel sidekick to Kallyr. I am thinking of him going into exile (still hunted by the Lunars) and being a bit crazy after spending time in Hell. But I guess he will return after the Dragonrise.

Well, in the Colymar Campaign as written Hofstaring Treeleaper wasn't resurrected, the players just rescued his soul from the Lunar hell it was imprisoned in. This would allow him to go on to his proper afterlife, and he could now receive worship as a hero of Orlanth by the Culbrea (and perhaps also the players' clan). It's a great and heroic feat, but not one that has much effects outside of the Culbrea (and, much farther along, on Hofstaring providing aid to Argrath on his Lightbringers Quest). Sure to win your characters plenty of friends and enemies, though, which is often its own reward.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Leingod said:

Well, in the Colymar Campaign as written Hofstaring Treeleaper wasn't resurrected, the players just rescued his soul from the Lunar hell it was imprisoned in. This would allow him to go on to his proper afterlife, and he could now receive worship as a hero of Orlanth by the Culbrea (and perhaps also the players' clan). It's a great and heroic feat, but not one that has much effects outside of the Culbrea (and, much farther along, on Hofstaring providing aid to Argrath on his Lightbringers Quest). Sure to win your characters plenty of friends and enemies, though, which is often its own reward.

Thanks! I hadn't read the last part in detail. Saving the souls seems much more convenient than a resurrection. 

7 hours ago, Soccercalle said:

I wonder if any one has played the Colymar Campaign with the adventurers resurrecting Hofstaring. What happens to him later? Wilö he be tribal king again? Are you having him as a rebel sidekick to Kallyr. I am thinking of him going into exile (still hunted by the Lunars) and being a bit crazy after spending time in Hell. But I guess he will return after the Dragonrise.

As Leingod noted, he's not restored in body, but his soul is rescued.  So he won't be tribal king (that's Ranulf of the Culbrea) or a sidekick - he's still "dead", but his soul is once again accessible.  What that means though is that folk can worship him, and there is the opportunity for a Hero Cult to emerge where you could learn the Treeleaping magic (or whatever Rune spell you want for him).  I'd expect this to occur among the Culbrea primarily, and the rescue may be a factor in their reemergence, first at the Battle of Auroch Hills and then in general rebellion/aggression aiding Kallyr (i.e. the Two-pine clan aggression noted in the 11 Lights book).

58 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

As Leingod noted, he's not restored in body, but his soul is rescued.  So he won't be tribal king (that's Ranulf of the Culbrea) or a sidekick - he's still "dead", but his soul is once again accessible.  What that means though is that folk can worship him, and there is the opportunity for a Hero Cult to emerge where you could learn the Treeleaping magic (or whatever Rune spell you want for him).  I'd expect this to occur among the Culbrea primarily, and the rescue may be a factor in their reemergence, first at the Battle of Auroch Hills and then in general rebellion/aggression aiding Kallyr (i.e. the Two-pine clan aggression noted in the 11 Lights book).

That is great. I also guess that the hero/heroes that rescues his soul gets some kind of inside track of joining the Hero Cult.

4 hours ago, Soccercalle said:

I also guess that the hero/heroes that rescues his soul gets some kind of inside track of joining the Hero Cult.

Of course!

They should naturally get a Loyalty (Culbrea) or Loyalty (King Ranulf) for their deeds (along with the Love (Ernalsulva) that comes with completing the marriage tasks).  And if they take on a Devotion (Hofstaring), then definitely an inside track to not only join, but potentially lead the Hero Cult.  If they aren't part of the Culbrea tribe, then the above should put them on friendly terms and allow access to Hofstaring's shrine in that land.  Potentially they could create an additional shrine elsewhere, but they'd have to recruit the worshipers to back it up (75+).

As the "Results of the Heroquest" boxed text says:

If the heroes are victorious, they return with the objective they sought. You will have to decide precisely what that is; it can take many forms.

The soul of Hofstaring has been liberated and returns to the hall of Orlanth, but is indebted to those who freed him. Most likely the clan now has a small hero-cult of Hofstaring Treeleaper and a little votive image of the king who provides the clan wyter with a bonus to its Magic Resource. The value of the bonus is determined by the heroes’ victory level in the Heroquest Challenge or from the extended contest freeing Hofstaring,

A likely unintended consequence of the heroquest is the impact their deeds have on the reputation with the Culbrea tribe. The heroes have liberated the soul of that tribe’s great hero-king! Each hero gets a bonus to any interaction with the Culbrea tribe equal to the heroquest bonus.

Additionally, the heroes have Lingering Benefits and Penalties to various abilities as a result of their experiences in the Underworld. The heroes may have made friends and enemies in the Underworld. The Narrator in future adventures should develop the ramifications of their actions.

Finally, the hero who carried the Hands to Hofstaring (or who defeated the Red-and-Silver Goddess in the heroquest challenge if that is a different hero) discovers that his hands are now a bright red color from the wrists on. He will not be able to avoid the nickname “Redhands.”

In RuneQuest terms, I would suppose that Hofstaring's hero cult would be treated as a subcult of Orlanth Adventurous that provides a single Rune spell. If you have The Red Book of Magic, the spell "Great Leap" is the obvious candidate, though you could also reflavor "Elklegs" if a 3-point one-use spell doesn't seem appropriate to you for whatever reason.

• Like 1