RQ II and Harnworld - Similar Currencies ?

rust

For one of my settings I would like to use both the material on ruling a noble fief from the up-

coming RQ II Empires and the very detailed price list from Harnworld.

As far as I can see, a silver piece from Runequest II and a penny from Harnworld are about

equivalent in value, which should make it possible to use both of them as the same currency,

with the prices adapted somewhat to better fit the setting.

However, I tend to fumble my mathematics rolls, and currencies are something I do not really

understand ...

So, is there perhaps some major problem that I failed to recognize ?

Thank you for your advice. :)

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

You might want to check out HarnManor. It contains rules for running fiefs (and the price list from HarnMaster works like a charm with it...).

Thank you, I will take a look at it. :)

(Charlie Chan)

It's quite good, but as lots of stuff for Harn it's a fairly complex simulation.

Thank you for the link. :)

I have no problems with the complexity, only with the price range of the Harn line - almost

20 Euros for a PDF of 86 pages means this one will have to wait a couple of weeks until my

roleplaying budget has recovered.

(Charlie Chan)

Absolutely. I've wanted to get in to Harn for the longest time. The buy in is too steep.

Indeed. I was lucky to get the German editions of Harnmaster and Harnworld, which were sold

at normal prices, but everything published in English is truly expensive. :(

(Charlie Chan)

There are some similarities between the two, but overall Harn has a more comprehensive list. The two price schemes are not quite the same though. I'd suggest checking them over carefully before implementing. You might be better off just using Harn Prices for everything rather than mixing the two, or else you will have some minor problems with the differences in swords, armor and other stuff.

As for Harnmanor, it is good, but might go a little overboard in the running of the manor. You actually get down into determining just how much land to plow, what exact crops to plant, and works out yields to the bushel.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Indeed. I was lucky to get the German editions of Harnmaster and Harnworld, which were sold

at normal prices, but everything published in English is truly expensive. :(

The Harn market is probably largely made up of die-hard fans, and as fans they collect Harn stuff. The printed product is printed on high quality three-hole punched paper which somewhat explains the steep price tag (of the printed stuff...). Obviously the PDFs could be sold for much less...

Peter Brink

There are some similarities between the two, but overall Harn has a more comprehensive list. The two price schemes are not quite the same though. I'd suggest checking them over carefully before implementing. You might be better off just using Harn Prices for everything rather than mixing the two, or else you will have some minor problems with the differences in swords, armor and other stuff.

The Harn price list is in fact a very good simulation of middle age prices. The price of an item is (obviously) based on factors such as general availability of the base materials, labor cost (ie. the time it takes to produce it) and if goods has been imported or if its has been produced locally. The effect is e.g. that mail armor is less expensive than high class clothing, which is not the case in for example RQ III.

Peter Brink

You might be better off just using Harn Prices for everything rather than mixing the two, or else you will have some minor problems with the differences in swords, armor and other stuff.

Thank you very much. :)

I have come to the same conclusion, to use the Harn prices whenever possible and the RQ II

prices only as a guide when Harn does not provide a price for something, which is quite rare.

(Charlie Chan)

The Harn market is probably largely made up of die-hard fans, and as fans they collect Harn stuff.

I understand this, and the quality of the content is usually excellent, but the price makes it very

hard to find new players for the game.

(Charlie Chan)

I have almost everything for Harn, but it took years, and cost more than I want to think about ;). It really is a great setting. I'm not really sold on the rules, though I own them.

I also agree that if you use the Harn pricelist, it should cover just anything except really weird Gloranthan style items.

The Harn price list is in fact a very good simulation of middle age prices. The price of an item is (obviously) based on factors such as general availability of the base materials, labor cost (ie. the time it takes to produce it) and if goods has been imported or if its has been produced locally. The effect is e.g. that mail armor is less expensive than high class clothing, which is not the case in for example RQ III.

Oh, I can't complain much about Harn's prices and economics. It's fairly good and internally consistent, which is more than can be said for most RPGs (there is a thread around here where I noted how silly some most system's economics are).

I have almost everything for Harn, but it took years, and cost more than I want to think about ;). It really is a great setting. I'm not really sold on the rules, though I own them.

I'm the opposite. I think it is a great system (at least the ones where Columbia didn't rewrite Crossby), but I'm not really sold on the setting. I think it would have been better if it wasn't a hodgepodge of Medieval, Roman, Viking, and High Fantasy.

I think it would have been better if it wasn't a hodgepodge of Medieval, Roman, Viking, and High Fantasy.

We usually played Harn as a pseudo-medieval setting by concentrating on a small part of the

world, for example the Laranian crusade against the Solori, and so avoided the "hodgepodge

problem" - quite easy, since Harn with its great depth of detail seems designed more for such

"local" scenarions than for characters who travel across the entire world.

However, most of the time I use Harn as a "reference" for other settings, borrowing things like

the seafaring rules from the Pilot's Almanach, the price list or the crafting rules for other set-

tings, because only very few systems offer such elaborate and well thought-out rules.

(Charlie Chan)