[Age of Arthur] Character Generation

Bleddyn

I have had the Old Stormbringer Style of rules in mind with the Following attributes in mind

Strength, Constitution Size, dexterity, Intelligence Power and Charisma. I think rust brought it to my attention that Education might be applicable considering language, law and engineering.

Also for humans My recommendations are 2d6+6 for attribute roles. The other Creatures of more fantastic origin we can tackle later

Cultures (each would give tailored background skills)

- Romano-British Civitias (Including Gallo-Roman)

- Brythonic/Welsh (P Celtic Speakers)

- Picts

- Irish (including Scots Irish)- Q Celtic Speakers

- Anglo-Saxon (Jutes)

- Franks

- Visigoths

Class-Background (core skills for start of Heroic Journey)

- Warrior (representing the full time Teulu/Hearth Troops)

- Freeman (Militia/Farmer/tradesman)

- Mariner

- Noble

- Rogue (Thieves & Assassins)

- Merchant

- Priest/Shaman/Druid/Magus

- Slave

- Craftsman

- Scholar

- Hunter

- Bard*

Skill groups

Stealth- : Move Quietly, Hide, Ambush, Conceal, Cut Purse,

Agility- Ride, Swim, Climb, Tumble, Dodge, Jump, Balance

Manipulation- Tie/Untie Knots, Set/Disarm Trap, Slight of Hand, Juggle, Pick Lock

Perception- See, Taste, Scent, Listen, Insight*, Search, Track, Witch Sight*, Leadership

Knowledge- Languages, Lore (Music, Herb, Craft, Culture, Arcane, History etc ). Appraise, Navigate, Physik, Craft (Trades), Memorize, Seamanship, Tactics, Map Map

Communication- Persude, Sing, Orate, Intimidate, Inspire, Perform,

The Use of Attack and Parry skills

I guess it is a start now lets talk about it.

In might a man, a youth in years, Of boisterous valour, Swift long-maned steeds under the thigh of a handsome youth ...Quicker to a field of blood, than to a wedding quicker to the ravens' feast

- Y Gododdin

"The soldier knows little of philosophers but in him and in his deeds life expresses itself more profoundly than any book can"

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

They look about right. I tried to think of extra backgrounds and couldn't. Nor could I think of any obvious professions to add.

I'd go for BRP skills rather than Stormbringer ones, because Stormbringer is pretty much dead and BRP is a better version.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

I looked at the BRP Skills and I don't know. Can you give me more input for your reason for wanting BRP Skills.

In might a man, a youth in years, Of boisterous valour, Swift long-maned steeds under the thigh of a handsome youth ...Quicker to a field of blood, than to a wedding quicker to the ravens' feast

- Y Gododdin

"The soldier knows little of philosophers but in him and in his deeds life expresses itself more profoundly than any book can"

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

Can you give me more input for your reason for wanting BRP Skills.

I think familiarity could be a reason. Most of the people who will use the supplement will know BRP, only few

of them will know Stormbringer. Those who do not know Stormbringer would have to "translate" the skills

into their BRP equivalents, which is some effort and can be confusing if one does not know the skill defini-

tions of Stormbringer: Is Leadership the same as Command, which Characteristic does it use, what is the

Base Chance ... ?

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Ah modifiers ... I will get to those tomorrow after I throw my father in law out of the house.

- Y Gododdin

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

Priest/shaman/druid/magus covers a lot of ground! Do you mean a generic priest class including pagan druids and Christian clerics, or just the pagan lot?

And what is a scholar in this context? Again, is it a loremaster in the pagan and/or heroic mode (which would be very like the job description of a bard), or a book-learned student type (probably though not necessarily a Christian monk). I think the latter would have quite different skills from the former, e.g.

Bard/loremaster type: Etiquette, Language (Own), Perform (Orate, Play Harp, Recite, Sing, etc.), Persuade, Status, Teach, Knowledge (Ancestry, Folklore, Oral History, Oral Poetry, etc.), Insight, Listen.

Bookish student: Language (Own), Language (Other), Teach, Art (Calligraphy), Knowledge (Academic Lore or History, Literature, Philosophy, Religion, etc.), Literacy, Research, Spot.

As discussed in the personalities thread, I think you need monk/priest/missionary (oh hell, let's just say "cleric") as an occupation. This would be differentiated from pagan priest/druid by background (obviously) and skills.

I'd favour NOT having a "sorcerer" occupation per se. Magical ability can be something additional, over and above the normal determination of a character's class or profession (much as it is in Stormbringer), depending on INT and/or POW scores, birth-gifts, or whatever. Merlin would probably be a druid or bard with additional magical/prophetic capabilities, for example.