Difficult skill success, skill-boosting spells & Experience

icebrand

Over the course of my last session one character got an experience check on a spot. The only time she used it, and it was a HARD roll.

Should she make the experience roll against the full skill, or half skill?

Another player used bladesharp to bring her sword skill from 75% to 95%. She never actually had to roll under 75, since there was only one combat, and she had the spell for the whole scene.

Should she roll against 75% or 95% to increase the skill?

I think that's it :D

"It seems I'm destined not to move ahead in time faster than my usual rate of one second per second"

Over the course of my last session one character got an experience check on a spot. The only time she used it, and it was a HARD roll.

Should she make the experience roll against the full skill, or half skill?

The full skill is always the measure when rolling for skill increases, since that's what you are trying to increase. It's just not worth keeping track of every difficulty level and every modifier you used during the game for each skill check, believe me.

Another player used bladesharp to bring her sword skill from 75% to 95%. She never actually had to roll under 75, since there was only one combat, and she had the spell for the whole scene.

While using bladesharp to boost one's skill, I would still grant the skill check. In those cases I would justify it as the character observing as the sword did something cool and learning from the experience. The actuall skill increase roll would still be on the 75% (the actual skill), though.

Thalaba

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

We run it the same: Roll advancement against unmodified skill.

But I have one exception: On HeroQuests, character skills are typically a fraction of normal (1/2, 1/3, 1/4, etc depending on the strength of the quest). Those skill checks get special marks, and the advancement is rolled against the modified percentage. It's an incentive for higher-skill characters to take on bigger challenges, and a way for me to keep the combats in a reasonable skill range.

Steve

Bathalians, the newest UberVillians!

I think that's it :D

Against 75% would be how I'd play it. But you could be harsh....skill check rolls aren't automatic, given it was the spell that allowed her to hit you could say she hasn't learnt anything.