Spell Levels

NickD

I thought I understood the idea of Spell Levels in BRP. I recently bought In Search of the Trollslayer and now i'm not so sure...!

I unserstand the spell limit of INT/2 (or INT/4 for non-wizards). Some questions:

1. This is the number of spells allowed in memory, right?

2. This is not the total number of spell levels?

3. The wizard can have more spells in their grimoire, just not in memory?

4. A wizard can cast a known spell at any level, limited by their magic points?

If this is the case, I don't understand why the pre-generated wizard character in Trollslayer has spell levels listed (e.g. Blast is level 3).

The wizard knows 6 spells, 1 at level 2, 2 at level 3, 2 at level 4 and 1 at level 5. What does that mean?

Nick

1. It is the limit for both 1 & 2. A character with 17-18 INT can have up to 9 spells in memory, and cast up to level 9.

2. An untrained person can have up to 1/4 INT spells in memory. Sorcerers get 1/2.

3. Yes, if he really wants to, he can have all 30 spells in the grimoire (or more!).

4. Any level up to 1/2 INT; you just lear "blast" and cast it at whatever level you wish.

I don't really know about trollslayer, i didn't look at the NPC's past the art (im not a fan of pre-gens). Maybe it uses some rule from classic fantasy?

"It seems I'm destined not to move ahead in time faster than my usual rate of one second per second"

Thanks Icebrand,

I must have missed the bit about the 1/2 INT spell level limit, but otherwise my understanding was correct.

Still doesn't explain the Trollslayer pre-generated characters though. The pre-generated sorceror character also has spell levels listed.

I don't really know about trollslayer, i didn't look at the NPC's past the art (im not a fan of pre-gens). Maybe it uses some rule from classic fantasy?

No, it's not a Classic Fantasy thing. I really think it's a mistake because it doesn't fit the normal "Magic" system and doesn't offer an explanation.

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"