Boys and Toys

svensson

I turned 58 last month. The Cute Brunette Who Says She Loves Me surprised me with a sword I need for my Civil War reenacting. It's not absolutely necessary to have. It's a uniform item but I have my enlisted cavalryman's saber from my time in the Army that does the same job just fine. But, she loves me so...

And I have to confess to you all... every time I pick up a sword [and I own 5 of them now] I feel like an 8 year old who's playing with toy he knows he really shouldn't have... 🤣😂

Repo 1850 Foot Officer Sword.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, svensson said:

Those of you who own yard long pieces of wall decor, please post them here!

Too many to spam here...

I still don't know if the site http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/swords/swords.htm is actually reachable from outside (my cellphone won't access it). It's hosted on an R-Pi inside my LAN -- so not the fasted thing around given my upload speed. (And I'm using door way trim strips for comparison).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, g33k said:

FYI, the site loads for me when I click the link above.

Nice collection !

Probably some  block by AT&T (main suspect -- I don't have key for use with HTTPS, so it is bare HTTP).

Thanks... Reluctant is so named as it does /not/ want to change direction once it starts moving. Hungry OTOH had a balance that allowed for quick direction changes, and it did "eat" a cookie tin. Note that these first items from the Museum Replicas subdivision of Atlanta Cutlery did not have any edges (a cold chisel was much sharper).

Gaming convention, I'd loaned them to the SCA room wall display. Hilary of Serendip normally used her custom-made sword to beat on a cookie tin to count out time during demo melee rounds. For a lecture about how swords seldom had really sharp edges in that period, she asked permission to use Hungry for a demo. She basically held the sword over the cookie tin, and relaxed her wrist so the blade pivoted under gravity. Unlike prior demos where the sword just put deep dents into the tin, my sword with no edge actually went through the bottom of the tin, only stopping when the tip hit the table.

Granted, a cookie tin is not "armor", but imagine what a simple cold chisel edge might have done.

On 11/17/2022 at 6:53 AM, svensson said:

My wife chimes in...

"STOP STABBING THE CEILING!" 🤣😂😘

A couple of decades ago i demonstrated my musket and bayonet to my mother in law.  Stabbed her ceiling when i went to right shoulder shift.  Thee bayonet went right in, despite being a piece of Indian-made repro which bends in the sheath when i sit down.   Since then I have been more careful indoors.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

A couple of decades ago i demonstrated my musket and bayonet to my mother in law.  Stabbed her ceiling when i went to right shoulder shift.  Thee bayonet went right in, despite being a piece of Indian-made repro which bends in the sheath when i sit down.   Since then I have been more careful indoors.

I've almost done that 😄

I'd be surprised if all of haven't, certainly most of us have.