Announcing SimpleQuest

Newt

SimpleQuest, for those of you with long memories, was the inital name for OpenQuest. Over three editions OQ has out grown my original concept of a short D100 Fantasy game. So last summer I returned to this original concept and quickly threw this concise complete D100 Fantasy game in full-colour hardcover, 150 pages long. 

Made with OpenQuest, with some new rules to make it more pick up and play, for when you want to run a short campaign or a one-shot convention game.  Here's more details on a blog post on OpenQuestRPG.com

Coming to Kickstarter next week Monday 28th November for two weeks.

Here's a detail from Jon Hodgson's gorgeous wrapround cover, last seen gracing OpenQuest 2.

dragon-emperor-with-logo.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Head Honcho of D101 Games
Publisher of Crypts and Things/Monkey/OpenQuest/River of Heaven
The Sorcerer Under the Mountain

Looks intriguing. It feels like you are putting together something similar to what you originally wanted for OpenQuest 3e, before deciding to make a game remain closer to the original due to the anniversary.

Some things I would tinker with a bit...

Using a table for the skill summary is unnecessary. My general rule of thumb is if something would take more than two lines in a chart and you can't make your column wider, consider making it paragraphs instead. In case of your skill list a bullet point list would be more than enough, would look better, and would spare you some whitespace. Resistances for example would take around half as much space like this:

• Dodge (DEX+10): Gets you out of the way of physical threats, such as an incoming axe or dragon breath.
  • Persistence (POW+10): This skill Is a measure of your character’s willpower and resistance against hostile magic and to resist attempts to influence the character against their will.
  • Resilience (CON+POW): This skill Is a measure of your character’s health and their ability to survive exposure, hunger and thirst, and to resist the effect of diseases.

Speaking of skills, since you are going to use your One Magic skill system, I would drop the Magic category, put Magic Casting (bit of a mouthful, Spellcasting rolls better) under Knowledge, and merge Religion back into Lore. I would consider mergin skills a bit more, but that might hurt the amount of compatibility you want to have with OpenQuest, so I will keep that idea to myself for now. 🙂

Nice to see you borrowed the light grey skill bases for the character sheet! 🙂 I would drop the yellow background though, most of us print sheets in black & white, and light grey doesn't look good on another light grey.

I'm eagerly waiting for the KS, keep up the good work!

• Thanks 1

Wielder of the Vorpal Mace.

Update: you can now sign up to be notified when the kickstarter goes live. This will also be the link when the project goes live 🙂 

Backers who pledge in the first day, will get an early backer bonus 🙂

Edited by Newt

We'll the Kickstarter has been live for just under 12 hours , and we've funded the main goal, and three stretch goals 🙂

One thing, I've extended the Early Bird Backer levels so they are available for the first two days of the campaign.

• Like 1

Update on the campaign.

After two days everything was funded, including stretch goals. So I threw up three new stretch goals.

Here's the update I posted about that. 

This morning, another Stretch Goal was funded  taking us up to a total of FIVE funded. Now the Darkvale setting and collection of adventures, that funded in the first two days, will be available to all backers as Print on Demand(POD) as well as PDF. 

• Like 1

On 12/4/2022 at 12:56 PM, theodis171 said:

Dwarfs are stated to have 2D6+12 DEX and 3D6 CON. Shouldn't that be the other way round?

SimpleQuest Dwarfs play against type. They are fast and furious, and win sprinting races with alarming regularity...oh frap you caught a mistake! Fixing it in the draft now 🙂

Thank you 🙂

• Haha 1

Ok we are well and truly funded and into the second week of the campaign.

Quick recap.

The main rule book funded in under an hour. Working on that now so it should be available in pdf/POD shortly after the campaign ends, and not long after in printed form for a dedicated printer. 

Darkvale is now going to be available as both pdf AND Print on Demand, for all backers.

We are currently very close to funding the early bird gift, Demons of Dark Desire, as POD in addition to pdf as a freebie for Early Backers, and as an add-on for people who missed that two days of bonkers funding. 

After that there's a fun 80s Action Film meets Christmas themed horror adventure called "Don't Let the Krampus Grind You Down". Already written I had fun playing this last year online over the festive period 😄

As well as the currently inprint OpenQuest rulebook and scenarios as add-ons, I've also added River of Heaven + To the Stars and the OpenQuest Classics (the out of print Crucible of Dragons + The Savage North + The Company RPG)  as  low cost pod/pdf bundles at £10 each.

At 9 pm (GMT), The SimpleQuest Kickstarter will be over. You will miss your chance to not only get the main rulebook in nicely printed format if you want but four other supplements. Also, you won't get to see Santa fight Krampus

• 4 months later...

I've just downloaded and skimmed the free sample

<Insert expected positives here>

But just in case you have not spotted this or been told already: p17 Characteristics table the CON and DEX columns seem to have been swapped (unless you've deliberately gone really bold in subverting genre stereotypes for Species).

Rule Zero: Don't be on fire

• 2 months later...

Darkvale is going to be an official setting for SimpleQuest

Summon Otherworld Creature (SimpleQuest p99) deals with Summoning Demons.  Demons of Dark Desire will give more detail on the subject of Demons and their summoning. 

• Like 1