Will Rivers of London get a community content collection à la Miskatonic Repository and Jonstown Compendium?

1 hour ago, fieldworking said:

As the title says, will Rivers of London get a community content collection on DriveThruRPG à la Miskatonic Repository and Jonstown Compendium?

Following!
(but suspecting I already know the answer:  it will depend on how well the book sells)

C'es ne pas un .sig

And I imagine the licensing will be complicated. Already with CoC there’s a lot we can’t use because it’s still in copyright, even though Chaosium has the rights. And that’s IP that’s no longer being developed, some of dead authors. Given Rivers content is still being actively written, well, much as I want to see fan work for the game, I’m pessimistic.

Speculation of course, and I’d love to be proven wrong. 

I presume they will follow the JC policy -- nothing on the JC should be thought of as "canon" or otherwise "official."  JC already offers fan-material that is known to have "official" Chaosium material under development, and material known to be in-conflict with existing canon.  This is all intentional!

Ben A. probably has some say in the matter, too!  "It's complicated" is likely to be the official policy for a while, yet !

Edited by g33k

C'es ne pas un .sig

22 hours ago, fieldworking said:

As the title says, will Rivers of London get a community content collection on DriveThruRPG à la Miskatonic Repository and Jonstown Compendium?

The short answer is No.

18 hours ago, g33k said:

"It's complicated" is likely to be the official policy for a while, yet !

The longer answer is community content is not part of our current Rivers of London TTRPG licensing agreement with Ben Aaronovitch.

Licensing agreements are by their nature, term-limited, which means when the license ends all community content would have to be withdrawn from sale too (as Chaosium owns the underlying IP for Call of Cthulhu, RuneQuest, and Pendragon, this is not a factor for community content programs for these games).

Often there are other factors involved in licensed properties such as film and television rights, computer games, and other publishing agreements, that limit the scope for community content.

Ben A. is aware of community content, and the door is not completely shut, but this is not something we are actively pursuing right now as we work on making the core rules a success and Rivers of London: The RPG a viable product line. 

Edited by MOB
  • Like 6
  • Helpful 6
  • Thanks 2

On 12/10/2022 at 1:23 PM, MOB said:

Ben A. is aware of community content, and the door is not completely shut, but this is not something we are actively pursuing right now as we work on making the core rules a success and Rivers of London: The RPG a viable product line. 

Thank you for the explanation, which makes perfect sense!

C'es ne pas un .sig

• 1 month later...