Armour - two questions..

Dangermouse

Reading through armour and damage - the rules say that Regular/Ballistic armour do not protect against certain spell attacks.  The only spell I can see that specifically says it ignores armour is Ice Blast.  Am I missing any others?

Second question - armour talks about melee vs firearms.  Do you count thrown as melee?  My feel is that Melee includes Thrown (down to the difference in kinetic energy between Firearms (including bow and crossbow)

Again, just trying to add armour in to the coding now that damage is being applied to targets (I need to go an alter items and spells to flag which armour types they protect against.

Thanks again

4 hours ago, jp1885 said:

Would Fireball be effective against armour? I guess it depends on what the armour is designed to protect against.

I was thinking that for Fireball ballistic armour would probably be effective, but maybe not the Met vest (and we know Natural Toughness doesn't work).  In coding terms I can add toggles to each spell to say what armour works against a spell (e.g. Ice Blast has all options tuned off, maybe Fireball has Ballistic turned on etc).   But if the official line is a bit more of a blanket approach then I'd code that in.

Edited by Dangermouse
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Lynne H said:

Ballistic armour would be effective against Fireball - it says so in the spell description.

I'd also include thrown weapons as melee weapons if we're talking about a stone or a tin of baked beans - javelins and spears slightly complicate things, though!

Thank you (again) Lynne.  I'd completely missed the ballistic armour point on fireball (Doh).  I shall crack on with more coding this afternoon 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 2/23/2023 at 3:54 AM, jp1885 said:

Would Fireball be effective against armour? I guess it depends on what the armour is designed to protect against.

On 2/23/2023 at 9:11 PM, Lynne H said:

Ballistic armour would be effective against Fireball - it says so in the spell description.

I'd also include thrown weapons as melee weapons if we're talking about a stone or a tin of baked beans - javelins and spears slightly complicate things, though!

Correct.  Ballistic armor is made of plastic fibers called Aramids that are actually quite good against heat and flames.