Another question about Zoo in the Right Arm Islands

Agentorange

A little while back I started a thread about Zoo

https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/18307-some-questions-about-zoo-in-the-right-arm-islands/

So given that much of the RAI are tidal and you have mud flats, causeways so on and so forth. What's to stop the creatures of Zoo just  swimming/wading/walking off the island and making a nuisance of themselves elswhere ?

Edited by Agentorange

1 hour ago, Agentorange said:

So given that much of the RAI are tidal and you have mud flats, causeways so on and so forth.

They are set in tidal salt marshes, and these aren't always or easily navigable: Most are covered with salt marshes with twisted channels capable of changing weekly. Given the two population centres are on seaward sides and the zoo is seaward, it seems that most of the population will be around the seaward edges (per the Guide), with those on islands within the marshes, living off the specific saltwater marsh species (crabs, eels, etc).

1 hour ago, Agentorange said:

What's to stop the creatures of Zoo just  swimming/wading/walking off the island and making a nuisance of themselves elswhere ?

Anything big died in the mud or the triolini killed them, anything small was eaten by the giant cranes (I suspect they came from the zoo), anything that flew did escape.

I recently visited (the edges of) a salt marsh and even at low tide, there was no way I was going to cross it without a local guide (if one existed). When the tide came in, what looked like land was quickly underwater. The mud in the channels was amazing (Pluff mud), in places it was metres deep (there were warning signs). Sadly no 9 metre tall cranes, just Egrets. 

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

On 3/27/2023 at 12:59 PM, David Scott said:

They are set in tidal salt marshes, and these aren't always or easily navigable: Most are covered with salt marshes with twisted channels capable of changing weekly. Given the two population centres are on seaward sides and the zoo is seaward, it seems that most of the population will be around the seaward edges (per the Guide), with those on islands within the marshes, living off the specific saltwater marsh species (crabs, eels, etc).

Anything big died in the mud or the triolini killed them, anything small was eaten by the giant cranes (I suspect they came from the zoo), anything that flew did escape.

I recently visited (the edges of) a salt marsh and even at low tide, there was no way I was going to cross it without a local guide (if one existed). When the tide came in, what looked like land was quickly underwater. The mud in the channels was amazing (Pluff mud), in places it was metres deep (there were warning signs). Sadly no 9 metre tall cranes, just Egrets. 

Many years ago I went to Wells in Norfolk, there's mud flats and salt marshes there. Trod on what i thought was solid ground went in upto the top of my calf and lost my deck shoe 😁

Edited by Agentorange
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Tidal marshes can coexist with pieces of bedrock jutting out. IMG the isles of Choralinthor Bay have bedrock, some aplenty.

The green in the AAA maps is misleading - all it tells us is that the area is less than 300 m (1000 ft) elevation. All of Denmark would appear in this green, and Denmark has several places with chalk bedrock cliffs facing the sea, and rather impressive moraines elsewhere.

For reasons of cartographic legibility, small portions jutting above these 1000 ft won't be marked on a map of the scale of the AAA, either. A thin ridge or a peak at 1200 ft might not be shown on a map of that scale.

That said, I would be astonished if the eastern part of the Rightarm Isles had elevations above 80 meters above average tidal level. Everything up to that would be fair game, and given the fact that the Zoo survived the Devastation of the Vent mostly intact suggests that it sits on a ledge of bedrock or a lot of sediment more than 10 meters above sea level.

Telling how it is excessive verbis