Are there any volcanoes in Pent or Prax ?

Agentorange

On 3/30/2023 at 7:45 PM, soltakss said:

In my Glorantha, real world physics still apply but not for the same reason as the real world. They just work. So everything works just like it does here. There is no need to look further, or to investigate why, because they just do.

There are a number of phenomena that defy our world's observations - the tides, the Syphon River, Tidal Waves (as controlled by the Waertagi), and the entire celestial "mechanics" (which are a giant Rube Goldberg engine named Mostal).

Some stuff is pretty hard to explain in terms of physics, like the effects of the Windstop in the outside world, with raging gale strength winds disappearing on its boundary.

"Physical forces" can be ignored or even affected by sufficiently advanced mysticism.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

1 hour ago, Joerg said:

There are a number of phenomena that defy our world's observations

Fine, but as a matter of practicality, what do you do when you hit something that is not covered by the game rules?

One approach is to minimise GM fiat by treating Glorantha as the real world + miracles: if it is not a designated miracle and it doesn’t have game rules, think about it as a real-world problem and try to go with players’ “real-world sensible” suggestions.

There are other ways to do it — other good ways, IMHO — but this seems a reasonable “simulationist” approach. If the world gets mad enough, I can imagine it breaking down, but then you probably don’t want a crunchy system. Probably … 😉

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

On 4/4/2023 at 1:37 PM, mfbrandi said:

Fine, but as a matter of practicality, what do you do when you hit something that is not covered by the game rules?

RQ is a toolbox of optional rules. There is something similar to metarules for magic in Glorantha, something I try to follow for effects that may fall into player hands. Like stuff costing some amount of magic points or rune points.

On 4/4/2023 at 1:37 PM, mfbrandi said:

One approach is to minimise GM fiat by treating Glorantha as the real world + miracles: if it is not a designated miracle and it doesn’t have game rules, think about it as a real-world problem and try to go with players’ “real-world sensible” suggestions.

Is giving them the real world answer fun? Or do they bring in unnecessary science/chemistry etc. that may or may not be on point and might give them a too easy way to deal with a situation? Then bring in a spirit inhabiting the site/item, or find an excuse of a myth how things were different in Godtime.

• Thanks 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

On 4/4/2023 at 12:37 PM, mfbrandi said:
On 4/4/2023 at 10:35 AM, Joerg said:

There are a number of phenomena that defy our world's observations

I use common sense where possible. People who know me well might think that I have no common sense, but that is by the by.

• If a situation is similar to another situation, then I adapt the already existing rule.
  • If a situation is merely an extrapolation of a situation then I extrapolate the rule.
  • If it is a completely new situation then I invent a new rule for it, as long as it is generally compatible with the existing rules.

What I never do is think "What is the real world explanation of this in terms of Physics, Chemistry, Maths or whatever". So, the Sun shines because it is a big ball of fire, not because of quantum-mechanical explanation of fusion. Wagons are difficult to push from a standing start because they are, not because of Newton's Laws of Motion combined with Friction and Momentum. 

On 4/4/2023 at 12:37 PM, mfbrandi said:

There is nothing wrong with GM fiat. I use it all the time as a GM. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here