Legendary Abilities

Mankcam

HI everyone,

I'm looking through MRQ2, and there's a few things I want to port into BRP, namely 'Legendary Abilities'. The main issue I have is that they incorperate 'Hero Points' as some of their requirements.

I don't really like the idea of Hero Points for my setting, I've come off playing pulpy Savage Worlds where the characters throw Bennies around everywhere, and I think that this doesn't really suit the setting I'm using.

Hero Points may suit a BRP pulp setting, but not really a gritty fantasy setting, it feels too much like GURPS or Savage Worlds otherwise.

I do allow players to 'bend the rules', but I prefer them to use the Fate Rules as presented in BRP where they have to invest their Power Points into the World so to speak, in order to get any good fortune out of it. This pretty much replaces the Bennies or Hero Points concept, and doesn't get overused from what I see.

My main issue then is finding another prerequisite to replace Hero Points when it comes to Legendary Abilities?

Suggestions appreciated

cheers

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

My main issue then is finding another prerequisite to replace Hero Points when it comes to Legendary Abilities?

It depends on your setting and gaming style. In our case I think I would ask for

a relevant skill of 95 % plus another experience roll of a natural 100 to grant a

character a legendary ability instead of the skill improvement.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

It depends on your setting and gaming style. In our case I think I would ask for

a relevant skill of 95 % plus another experience roll of a natural 100 to grant a

character a legendary ability instead of the skill improvement.

In addition to this I would force the character to find an appropriate teacher, something which in itself could be an adventure. Scathach in the Irish Ulster Cycle is the teacher for Cu Chulainn in the advanced fighting arts.

In other words, I would treat these like martial arts techniques and make it difficult to find a teacher, and time consuming to learn. They would have to prove themselves to the instructor to be accepted for training as well.

SDLeary

Yep, some good suggestions, so summing up: I was thinking of making them all 90-95% with an Attribute worth 15 or more; so basically just ignore the Hero Points prerequisite, and make sure the narrative dictates the rest (eg: perform a quest, outstanding cult duties etc), and requires a Experience check granting the Legendary Ability instead of a d6 skill advancement. I was toying with something along these lines, and from your suggestions, it sounds like it's reasonable.

Thanks for your prompt replies!

cheers

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"