Looking For a Game..

Kevin Hasinger

There's a couple of GM's advertising pay-to-play games on StartPlaying.games.
Both GM's are well-reviewed.

$20/player/session

Which is steep, by some perspectives... but when you consider it as probably only paying $5 - $10 per hour of play (with non-trivial amount of unpaid up-front prep-time, plus sundry player-assist sessions most GM's do for free) this isn't actually unreasonable.

GM'ing is a lot more effort than being a player!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

5 hours ago, Kevin Hasinger said:

If this isn’t the appropriate forum for this post, please forgive me, and direct me to the appropriate location.

This is fine (and welcome!). 

If you don't have issues with Facebook, you could also try the RuneQuest group there (there's a lot more members for one reason so may have greater chance to find in your area): RuneQuest | Facebook 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey there, unfortunately I'm in the LA area so I can't quite meet you in person for a game, but I'd be more than happy to play online if you like. I am very new though and am still working through some parts of the rules, if that ends up being a deal breaker, I wish you luck in finding some others to play with.

• Thanks 1

On 6/28/2023 at 7:12 PM, Shadowboi said:

Hey there, unfortunately I'm in the LA area so I can't quite meet you in person for a game, but I'd be more than happy to play online if you like. I am very new though and am still working through some parts of the rules, if that ends up being a deal breaker, I wish you luck in finding some others to play with.

I’m not new to Runequest, but haven’t played RQG. I’ve been playing/DMing other RPGs and away from Runequest for 25 years. My personal email address is kevinhasinger@gmail.com - feel free to reach out, happy to run a solo adventure for you! 

• Like 1

Hi @Kevin Hasinger,

There were several GM's on Roll20. You will need to allow 18+ years old (They frequently use this as a screening device for younger/newer players).

I suggest, if you are able join the unofficial Discord, I just saw a listing.  

Also this helped me;

People looking for a game can look at:

• Forums LFG areas:
    • ENWorld
    • RPG.net
    • There's no dedicated LFG area here on BRP but it might be worth it to ask TrifleTraxor to add one (which could be useful for both RQG but also HQG and Mythras and Magic World and everything else). Especially since most of these other forums don't have much for BRP games except CoC.
  • VTT LFG:
    • Roll 20
      • Note that many people mark their games as having "mature content" to avoid having kids join their game, or not have to think about watching their language. You'll get more hits if you check that box before searching.
    • Fantasy Grounds
  • Some sub-reddits:
    • Reddit LFG
      • It also has an official LFG Discord server.
      • There's no official flair for RQG (don't complain about it, ask the mods to allow it!), but you can still just look for "RuneQuest" and find a few hits in the past couple months.
    • RuneQuest sub-reddit
    • Glorantha sub-reddit
  • Some Discord servers:
  • Other social services
    • Meetup
      • Look for some kind of RPG meetup in your area. In mine, there are a few (a general one, a couple for D&D/PF, one for horror RPGs like CoC/Vampire specifically, etc.). This is where I've found most of my players!
    • Facebook:
    • MeWe
    • Some other classified/meeting service, like Craigslist.
      • I find that different cities have different "traditions" when it comes to online communities. This is especially true if you just moved from one side of a continent to another, or even moved continents completely. It's also true if the last time you looked for a group was 10 years ago! It's possible everybody has moved to a different platform!

Look up any gaming stores in your area and see if they have any resources for you. Like I said above, some of my gaming stores have Discord servers themselves where they help gamers meet. Ask the owners and staff! Put the "friendly" back in "friendly neighbourhood gaming store"!

For Reddit, Discord servers, and forums, use the search feature to find games. Everybody is online these days so it doesn't have to be local! Sort by newest instead of by relevance. I've seen the most LFG posts on Discord, these days. It's probably because a lot of people are using Discord for voice chat, and they probably figure they'll get the most replies there. There's one such post seemingly every week or so on the Chaosium/RQ/Glorantha Discord servers linked above.

Last, actively post somewhere that you're looking for a game. If 20 people are looking for a game, don't find anything, shrug and go away, none of them will ever get anywhere. Post online to show your interest, so the other 19 can find you and each other!

Edited August 19, 2020 by lordabdul

Lord Abdul rocked this one.

Good Luck!

Edited by Badder
Additional material
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 3

For what it's worth, I have openings in my 1st edition (1978) RuneQuest campaign. We play from 8:00 PM Pacific Time to 10:00 PM every other Wednesday on Roll20 with Google Meet for audio. The next session will be July 19th. The campaign is definitely more old school and more "adventure and treasure seeking" and not clan oriented as the current rules tend to encourage, and it's definitely my Glorantha.

Frank

• Helpful 1

• 3 weeks later...