Seeking Advice as the Keeper of Arcane Lore - Fostering Storytelling Appreciation in Players

Greetings esteemed Keepers of Arcane Lore,

I am writing to seek your invaluable advice and wisdom as I embark on a journey to foster a deeper appreciation for storytelling in one of my players. As the Keeper, I have always been passionate about weaving intricate tales of mystery and horror in our tabletop roleplaying games.

However, one of my players seems to approach our sessions with a strong focus on "winning" the game, leading them to be less engaged with the storytelling aspect. I believe that if they develop a greater appreciation for the narratives we create, it could lead to a more enriching and enjoyable experience for everyone involved.

The player in question is a valued friend, and was recently diagnosed with ADHD, which can sometimes manifest as impulsive emotions and a desire for control in games. As someone who enjoys Call of Cthulhu, where character death can be prevalent, they have expressed discomfort due to the perceived "ease of dying" in such games.

While I want to support and respect their preferences, I also believe there is an opportunity to help them embrace the essence of storytelling within the game, rather than focusing solely on victory.

I am seeking your guidance on the following points:

1. How can I encourage players to immerse themselves in the storytelling and character development aspects of tabletop roleplaying games?
  2. Are there specific storytelling techniques or mechanics that I can incorporate into our sessions to make the narrative more compelling and engaging for all players?
  3. How can I create a cooperative and supportive atmosphere where players feel motivated to explore their characters and the world we build together?
  4. Have you faced similar challenges with players in your group, and if so, how did you successfully navigate them?
  5. I value the dedication and expertise of this community, and I believe that by sharing your experiences and insights, we can enhance the gaming experience for everyone involved. Our regular Sunday TTRPG sessions are an integral part of our lives, and I am committed to making them more enjoyable for each participant.

Thank you for taking the time to read my request, and I eagerly await your guidance and suggestions.

May our tales of mystery and horror weave unforgettable memories for all adventurers who dare to embark on this journey!

Sincerely,

Scio Deodamnatus - Keeper of Arcane Lore

One thing I like to do is have a Session 0 before the initial play starts, in it I go over basic expectations, along with reminding everyone that when dealing with Mythos and the unknown no one ever truly wins. Yes you might have banished the evil entity, but at what cost? How many of your group died or went insane? How many innocent lives were lost before you took down the Cult?

I also remind them that Call of Cthulhu isnt like Dungeons and Dragons, combat can be and is very lethal to the players, running away is in most cases is the wiser choice.

If I have a player that comes in the must win no matter what, I fudge die rolls, give greater penalties for fumbles or failed push rolls, etc... I will also pull the player to the side and remind them that the object of the game isnt to "win" but to survive, and again that death of the characters or them gong insane is a very real possibility, again they are playing characters who are ordinary humans, and humans are fragile, and they are going up against people who are crazy and unpredictable along with creatures/beings that are more powerful then them.

Periodically I will have a repeat of the Session 0. Most often this is before a new campaign, in addition to reminding everyone that death or insanity is very likely to happen, and to give them an idea of what character professions might be the best choices. I will also repeat Session 0 anytime we get a new player so the have all the expectations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 7/27/2023 at 4:55 PM, Scio Deodamnatus said:

The player in question is a valued friend, and was recently diagnosed with ADHD, which can sometimes manifest as impulsive emotions and a desire for control in games. As someone who enjoys Call of Cthulhu, where character death can be prevalent, they have expressed discomfort due to the perceived "ease of dying" in such games.

Have you suggested a homework assignment, such as having them read the story Call of Cthulhu?  That should give them, and him in particular, a strong taste of what the game is about.  The strong feeling of lurking fear, the kiss of insanity, and the embrace of grateful death as a means to avoid and escape the despair of facing the reality of the Mythos.

Also, there is the wonderful movie adaption of that story made by the H. P. Lovecraft Historical Society.

https://www.hplhs.org/mpcoc.php

I think make it real - instead of allowing characters to say roll to persuade the guard to let them pass, make the party fully role play, speak directly to the NPCs. 

If the PC tries to bull through, have NPCs react negatively, much as if someone pushed past in a rude way in real life.

You could also add something which encourages the PC to engage more fully with their character, say they could develop a feeble psychic talent which might encourage them to interact with people and try to develop their talent. Of course, treat this with care - psychic talents in the mythos universe expose you to danger, they're more a curse than a blessing. 

• Like 1