Pamaltela in The Prosopaedia

Gregory M

For the purposes of my campaign in Pamaltela, I need to list all the deities from the Fonrit and Doraddi pantheons mentioned in The Prosopaedia. The book clarifies and specifies many things without having to dive into the complexities of Revealed Mythologies. It's a great book! 😍

I'll be posting a little summary document about it soon. For now, I have a few questions. Let me make it clear from the outset that these are questions about really minor details. This is nitpicking, due to the fact that I'm trying to be really clear about Pamaltela. 😅

First, two questions about the "Glorious Ones". In Fonrit, Garangordos created an imitation of Pamalt's Necklace, the "Glorious Ones" (The Prosopaedia p. 47), where each of Garangordos' "companions" became a deity symbolizing one of the Ancient Gods of Pamalt's pantheon.
Hence my Question 1: The Prosopaedia does not specify which of the Old Gods is symbolized by Alakhainas (p. 4). Is it, instead of Ganleiriti (not mentioned in the book), Sikkanos, as suggested by Revealed Mythologies p. 55? ("Only Ganleiriti refused to take part, saying he did not want to be part of this new civilized life. He departed with his family to go south and seek the forefathers of the people. In his place, Garangordos named his brother, Alakhainas. Afterwards, all agreed that Ganleiriti was Sikkanos.") Or does Alakheinas symbolize another Old God? And Question 2: Malubadu is presented, in The Prosopaedia, as the Fonrit deity who symbolizes "Silver". Typo? Revealed Mythologies is about "Siver" (pp. 55, 61 and 65), one of Pamaltela's Old Gods, a healer god.

Question 3: I find it strange that Miroune (p. 86), who was identified with Babeester Gor by the God Learners in Revealed Mythologies, belongs to the Fonrit pantheon and not to the Doraddi one. Typo?

Question 4: I discover the existence of Sedaia, "the Queen of Kothar" (p. 108): "goddess of langiappe, a pseudocereal grown in the oases of Kothar". The oases of Kothar? In Jolar, I can understand, but it didn't seem to me that oases in Kothar were a notable feature of the region. Guide to Glorantha p. 590: "[Kothar is] A wide verdant plain, cut by clear rivers and covered with teeming herds. The natives consider it to be paradise. It is well-watered, and oasis centers do not exist here. Much of Kothar is savannah, covered with widely spaced, scattered trees." So, oases or not in Kothar?

Finally, Question 5 (high level nitpicking, you've been warned): in The Prosopaedia, "Hykim and Mikyh" p. 60 doesn't belong to pamaltelan pantheons, but "Mikyh" (alone, p. 85) belongs to the Doraddi panheon. Does this (apparent) contradiction mean anything?

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

For those who might be interested, here are the deities listed in The Prosopaedia who belong to either the Doraddi or the Fonritian pantheon.

Underlined names correspond to deities related to Artmal and the Veldang (information of importance to my campaign).

The name of some deities is followed by another name in brackets : it is the equivalent deity in another pantheon according to the Godlearners.

In the Fonritian pantheon, an asterisk indicates the "Glorious Ones", i.e. the "new gods" that Garangordos wanted to symbolize, or manifest, the ancient deities of the Doraddi pantheon.

I have a few hesitations, in italics, which correspond to the questions I asked in my first message (see above).

Doraddi pantheon

Afidisi

Agi

Aleshmara (Asrelia)

Amuron

Aranea

Artmal

Balumbasta (Lodril)

Baraku (Orlanth)

Basmol

Bolongo

Bredjeg (Umath)

Chermata (Lokarnos / Issaries)

Cronisper

Dama

Enjata Mo

Famorde (Maran Gor)

Faranar (Ernalda)

Hon Hoolbiktu

Horned Man

Jarkaru the Indigo Conqueror

Jmijie

Kendamalar

Keraun

Langamul

Mikyh

Miroune ? (Babeester Gor)

Mwara

Nomiama

Noruma

Nyanka

Old Gods

Pamalt

Plant Brothers

Qualyorni (Moorgarki)

Rasout

Sedaia

Serartamal

Sikkanos

(Siver ?)

Tadarida (Ty Kora Tek)

Tamakderu

Vangono

Varama

Veldara

Yanmorla

Fonrit

Abalibost* (Rasout)

Abdamedric* (Vangono)

Aininlahay* (Yanmorla)

Alakhainas* (Sikkanos ?)

Artmal

Baraku (Orlanth)

Bendaluza* (Cronisper)

Bredjeg (Umath)

Chermata (Lokarnos / Issaries)

Chouanaibos* (Jmijie)

Darleester the Noose

Echeklihos* (Nyanka)

El Jazuli* (Aleshmara)

Enjata Mo

Ernamola

Famorde (Maran Gor)

Galaborib* (Enjata Mo)

Garangordos* (Pamalt)

Gark the Calm

Hungry Goddess

Ikadz

Jarkaru the Indigo Conqueror

Jokotu* (Bolongo)

Jraktal the Tap

Lallamimou* (Keraun)

Lamsabi

Lohanasen* (Tamakderu)

Malubadu* (Siver ?)

Mandakusour* (Noruma)

Miroune (Babeester Gor)

Mouladehas* (Balumbasta)

Mwara

Old Gods

Ompalam

Pamalt

Selarn

Seseine

Tenoarpesas* (Kendamalar then Varama)

Tentacule

Tolat (Shargash)

Tondiji

Two Brothers of War (Humakt & Zorak Zoran)

Udayankos* (Dama)

Uleria

Zienbeski* (Faranar)

Edited by Gregory M
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/3/2023 at 12:30 PM, Gregory M said:

Question 4: I discover the existence of Sedaia, "the Queen of Kothar" (p. 108): "goddess of langiappe, a pseudocereal grown in the oases of Kothar". The oases of Kothar? In Jolar, I can understand, but it didn't seem to me that oases in Kothar were a notable feature of the region. Guide to Glorantha p. 590: "[Kothar is] A wide verdant plain, cut by clear rivers and covered with teeming herds. The natives consider it to be paradise. It is well-watered, and oasis centers do not exist here. Much of Kothar is savannah, covered with widely spaced, scattered trees." So, oases or not in Kothar?

Oases in Kothar, as in places where sedentary folk practice horticulture on places protected by special local spirits. Possibly fewer of these, but Kothar approaches the Nargan Desert, too, with a decrease in fertility.

The Kresh interact with a majority of non-wagon folks, whether sedentary (oases) or nomadic hunting/"transhumant gardening".

• Thanks 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis